Peavey IPR amps. 1600 watts, 7 pounds. Too good to be true?

• Members

Has anyone here used one yet? They look almost too good to be true. The small one is 1600 watts, weighs 7 pounds, and street price is 299.00.

Are these any good? I'd love to say goodbye to our 100 pound PA rack and replace it with two of these for a PA system that weighs less than 20 pounds!!

595800.jpg

http://www.music123.com/Peavey-IPR-1600-Power-Amp-476311-Has i1469148.Music123

• Members

Definitely not too good to be true.

Digital amps are here to stay and they will become lighter and lighter...

The former is definitely true - the latter maybe not. I think making a rackmount amp much under 7 lbs isn't all that easy or worthwhile. Even the lightweight plastic racks weigh about 13 lbs empty for a 6U :lol:. Anyways 34 lbs for a rack with 3 amps in it is plenty light enough for me :cool:.

I'll wait for the 6kw amps though - 18kw under 50lbs w/rack is gonna blow minds! ... and plenty of drivers :lol:. Agedhorse better staff up his reconing service ;).

• Members

I'll wait for the 6kw amps though - 18kw under 50lbs w/rack is gonna blow minds! ... and plenty of drivers
:lol:
. Agedhorse better staff up his reconing service
;)

Scarry thing is you'll know someone will post "powering JRX--- with an IPR 6000". And the next sentence will probably be asking what a limiter is. :facepalm:

• Members

I would think (but I've been wrong before) that Class D would sound a little "light" in the bottom end..

Popular mis-conception (probably from the early days of switch mode power supplies) since people confuse the two technologies.

Digital signal is usually easier to do at low frequencies and harder at high frequencies because you get more samples in less time at the lower frequencies.

• Members

Alright - then at its $6400 price I will be able to buy eleven IPR6000 (= 66kw) - just right for my bedroom practice rig
:p

Oh, ok... Wanna talk price too? That's another thing... And 11 IPR6000's would be 77 pounds...

Anyway, if these PV's do what they're supposed to do, they will definitely sell like bananas...

• Members

Popular mis-conception (probably from the early days of switch mode power supplies) since people confuse the two technologies.

Digital signal is usually easier to do at low frequencies and harder at high frequencies because you get more samples in less time at the lower frequencies.

Absolutely. Class D and SMPS do a fantastic job at LF reproduction.

Archived