Mackie 1604 mixer to DBX 1231 EQ connection ....

• Members

Is was wondering if it was ok to connect from my Mackie 1604 mixer to my dbx 1231 EQ with a 1/4" TRS to XLR cable ... the mackie does not have a XLR out from the board to the EQ (running MONO) ... just wondering if it was ok to go from the 1/4" TRS output on the board to XLR input on the EQ .... does it affect anything per say ?? Or would it be better to keep it 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TRS cable between the two ... thanks as always !!

• Members

Oh and sorry, one last question ... looking at the back of the mackie mixer ...

http://www.mackie.com/home/showimage.html?u=/products/1604vlz3/images/1604VLZ3-Rear.jpg

When running my Mains ... do i go out from the Mono 1/4" jack ... or should i use one of the L or R 1/4" jacks ...

Sorry, i'm so used to my A&H Mixwiz, just want to make sure with this one as i'm helping out a friend tommorrow ...

• Members

ideally you would use the main inserts on the board to connect to the EQ. with either the mackie or the mixwiz, unless someone with more experience can correct me i believe that this would be the most efficient way to do it. having to do with the fact that with the insert the EQ would see a consistent signal. with the EQ inline after the main bus the amount of signal going to the EQ is dependent on the position of the master fader

• Members

ideally you would use the main inserts on the board to connect to the EQ. with either the mackie or the mixwiz, unless someone with more experience can correct me i believe that this would be the most efficient way to do it. having to do with the fact that with the insert the EQ would see a consistent signal. with the EQ inline after the main bus the amount of signal going to the EQ is dependent on the position of the master fader

Doesn't really matter under most circumstances. Where this is generally more accepted is where you need to do monitoring with the processing in the signal path. Most often encountered in the stage monitor world, where a cue wedge indentical to what was being used on stage was the primary listening device and cueing through the mixex post eq gives a better indication of what each performer is hearing.

• Members

Doesn't really matter under most circumstances. Where this is generally more accepted is where you need to do monitoring with the processing in the signal path. Most often encountered in the stage monitor world, where a cue wedge indentical to what was being used on stage was the primary listening device and cueing through the mixex post eq gives a better indication of what each performer is hearing.

i see. thanks for clearing that up.

is there anything that you would specifically suggest running in the main inserts in a typical small system using a mixwiz or similar?

• Members

It can be done, though an advantage of putting the 1231 after the Mackie is that now the outputs are available on XLR connectors, which are more rugged and reliable connectors for the outside world. Most (real) snakes include XLR F connectors on the return fan.

• Members

It can be done, though an advantage of putting the 1231 after the Mackie is that now the outputs are available on XLR connectors, which are more rugged and reliable connectors for the outside world. Most (real) snakes include XLR F connectors on the return fan.

what about the considerable issue of the 1604 ouptut meters becoming meaningless by placing the eq after the mixer?

• Members

Hmmm, interesting. So what is the consensus ? Is it ok to go from the MONO 1/4" output in the MAIN OUT section on the back of the mixer to the EQ (dbx 1231) via 1/4" to XLR cable or should it be rigged a different way. As Dubravac said above, i need my output levels to work properly to set my gains for each channel.

• Members

So i'm not clipping anything. It's a 5 piece band, guitars, vocals, keys, drums, bass. We set the gains (trims) for each channel to avoid clipping. Isn't that standard procedure ? But i just got a little worried because you said the output meters do not work properly when the EQ comes after the mixer. If thats the case, how can i set my trims properly ?

• Members

And one more quick question. When using the Mono Out plug to run my mains, there's a dial underneath it that goes from what looks like an 'infinity sign' to '+6db' .... what should that be set too ...

Again, just so there's no confusion here ... i run my band FOH setup 2-way Mono ... mixer to the eq, eq to crossover, high to one amp (that powers my tops), low to the other amp (that powers my bins) ...

Thank you all !!

• Members

input and output are unrelated in this aspect. any changes you make on your eq will raise or lower the signal level after your mixer. therefore the output meters on your mixer become meaningless in the sense of the system.

i run my eqs in the main insert, many do not.

• Members

I'm assuming you run stereo ?? The Main inserts have outputs for Left and Right ... which would do me no good because i run Mono for FOH. So on my dual 31 band EQ, i use the top for FOH eq'ing and the bottom for monitor eq'ing.

• Members

I'm assuming you run stereo ??
sometimes with my mixwiz, not with my mackie.

The Main inserts have outputs for Left and Right ... which would do me no good
why?
because i run Mono for FOH.
so?

So on my dual 31 band EQ, i use the top for FOH eq'ing and the bottom for monitor eq'ing.

you are drawing conclusions without understanding. you have options you havent considered yet. you could use only the left side of your mackie for example, still be mono and still use channel inserts. BTW the mono out is the sum of the LR outs. or you could use the eq inbetween your mixer and crossover, just be sware that the mixers outputs become less meaningful.

• Members

Ok so let me ask you, and i'm sorry, i could tell you are getting frustrated with me lol ... how would you ideally setup my system ?

Mixer (Mono Out or LEFT only ??) to Crossover Input ... crossover high/low to the amps ... and my dbx 1231 connected in the 'MAIN INSERT' area on the back of the Mackie, and only use the LEFT 1/4" jack to the Input on the EQ ?

• Members

Mixer (Mono Out or LEFT only ??) to Crossover Input ... crossover high/low to the amps ... and my dbx 1231 connected in the 'MAIN INSERT' area on the back of the Mackie, and only use the LEFT 1/4" jack to the Input on the EQ ?

thats pretty much how i setup my PA for my band, i use the left side of the mixer, left side master insert for eq, and run left side out to crossover. you dont have to do it that way though, its just one option. when i do sound for other bands i usually run a stereo pa (i mix mono) with an eq for each side (but not always).

• Members

And one more quick question. When using the Mono Out plug to run my mains, there's a dial underneath it that goes from what looks like an 'infinity sign' to '+6db' .... what should that be set too ...

Again, just so there's no confusion here ... i run my band FOH setup 2-way Mono ... mixer to the eq, eq to crossover, high to one amp (that powers my tops), low to the other amp (that powers my bins) ...

Thank you all !!

you really should probably read the manual for the mixer. it's pretty clear if not a little too verbose. its available for download from the mackie website.

• Members

Good grief... it doesn't matter.

The meters on your Mackie read output level of the board. the eq has a clipping level of +22dB or higher. If you are operating anywhere near this, you have other bidder problems understanding how this stuff works.

I don't even look at the output meters on my console (the ppower supply osts more than your entire console), once reasonable gain structure is set up, it's not important information.

Also, your output levels mean absolutely nothing in regards to setting your channel gains.

Time to spend a little time with your manuals and maybe read a little bit here on this forum about BASIC gain structure.

Archived