Powered Subwoofer Recommendation

• Members

So we've been playing small to medium sized clubs and bars but we are starting to get into bigger places. Our typical crowd is about 200 people. For mains i'm using Mackie 1530's which are full range powered speakers and i'm happy with them so far. For the subs i'm using powered jbl118sp subs which honestly suck and most of the time i can't even tell if they're on. Our mains do pack some good low end but i still want a good sub to compliment it. I was looking into yorkville ls700 and 720. Anyone have any other ideas? I'd like something along the lines of $800 a sub/powered.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I used two 1530's over two LS800P's for a few years and people wouldn't shut up about our sound... I have no experiance with the LS720, but I'm guessing it would be a good fit for the Mackies. Two LS800P's are a good match for FOUR mackie 1530's.

You could go with ONE LS800P in the center of the room? But then you're left trying to figure out how to get the mackies up in the air.

• Members

The PRX518s is weak sauce. They're barely a half step up from the JRX-SP's... I wouldn't even consider it. The PRX718s is much nicer.

Yorkville LS720p's are hard to beat for cost/size/performance. I'm considering picking 1 up just to have for small club shows.

QSC HPR's are very nice as well.

• Members

I'm not using a crossover since the speakers have them built in. I've considered the LS800's. I think one might work fine for us. I don't know about the prx series. I've heard other people say they're not much better then the jrx too. This jrx118sp has left a pretty sour taste in my mouth. How does the ls720 compare to an ls800? As for the mains, I usually elevate the 1530's by just putting them up on stage. We've also had incredible crowd response from our 1530's as well.

• Members

I disagree completely.

They are a nice trade-off between size/weight/performance and price.

Thanks agedhorse. I was waiting for someone other then me to respond (since I am kind of considered to be a JBL fanboi - something I do not necessarily agree with).

I believe the PRX518 is a very good sub for the money. It sounds great and is very easy to move around.

I would not just write it off. It fits perfectly into the parameters set out by the OP and will be huge upgrade from the 118s.

• Members

don't know about the prx series. I've heard other people say they're not much better then the jrx too. This jrx118sp has left a pretty sour taste in my mouth.

I owned 118s (indeed, they DO suck) before I moved to the MRX518s (unpowered version). The MRX sounds great and handles my very loud

• Members

Is there anything objective you can cite, or is this simply subjective opinion?

Side by Side comparison at Guitar Center. We initially thought the 518 was broken - you couldn't really hear any low extension. So we turned off the tops and indeed, it was on. It was easily blown away by a pair of HPR122i's.

The 718 however, matched up nicely with the 122s.

BTW, this was a test for the DJ's that I work with when they were making their gear purchasing and upgrade decisions for the year.

• CMS Author

Side by Side comparison at Guitar Center. We initially thought the 518 was broken - you couldn't really hear any low extension. So we turned off the tops and indeed, it was on. It was easily blown away by a pair of HPR122i's.

The 718 however, matched up nicely with the 122s.

BTW, this was a test for the DJ's that I work with when they were making their gear purchasing and upgrade decisions for the year.

I've stated this before, but always carefully trace the signal when you're demo'ing a rig in a store.

Especially at Guitar Center. I speak from experience.

• Members

I really like my LS-720's. Easy to handle, and great sounding sub in my opinion. Very tight, clean bass. No mud, no boominess. I may buy another pair for larger gigs. I currently use them with my NX55p's, but have never experimented to see if one pair of LS720's can keep up with four NX55p's. Hmmmm.,,,, there's a project for the weekend.:thu:

With a single pair of NX55p's, the subs aren't remotely close to breaking a sweat. They amaze me really.

Bob

• Members

Re: the Yorkvilles IMHO.... LS720P's, tight "accurate" sub. "Full features".

LS700P relatively small, heavy, but a lot of boom for the buck. No XLR connections...

LS800P biggest thump of the three, delay and crossover control.

It's all about personal taste, application and truck and stairs pack.

You won't be moving an LS800P up the stairs by yourself:)

• Members

I've stated this before, but always carefully trace the signal when you're demo'ing a rig in a store.

Likewise, I speak from experience. It seems like every turn, whenever I question a PRX speaker and compare it to something else - you go into uber star wars laser defense mode. What's with the JBL Fanboy Status? :cop:

I know how to plug things in... as does my GC Pro rep.

• Members

Likewise, I speak from experience. It seems like every turn, whenever I question a PRX speaker and compare it to something else - you go into uber star wars laser defense mode. What's with the JBL Fanboy Status?
:cop:

It is about you stating things as facts and not your opinion. You are offering that they are barely a step up from JRXs, you are stating this as a fact. If you really believe that, I have lost all faith in your ears. I enjoy the many opinions but make sure people know what is fact and what is opinion.

The JRXs do suck compared to other subs. That is a fact and can be proven. It is also a fact that GC has the tendency to push people to items that they make more profit with. I have friends who work there that would be more then happy to tell you that the scuttle some gear in favor of others.

So you are saying that YOU plugged the subs in? YOU traced the entire signal path? No one said you don

• Members

It is about you stating things as facts and not your opinion. You are offering that they are barely a step up from JRXs, you are stating this as a fact. If you really believe that, I have lost all faith in your ears. I enjoy the many opinions but make sure people know what is fact and what is opinion.

The JRXs do suck compared to other subs. That is a fact and can be proven. It is also a fact that GC has the tendency to push people to items that they make more profit with. I have friends who work there that would be more then happy to tell you that the scuttle some gear in favor of others.

So you are saying that YOU plugged the subs in? YOU traced the entire signal path? No one said you don

• Members

• Members

This is my suspician as well. His experience is not at all what I have experienced here at the shop where I have control over all parameters. I have enough experience w/ the 518 to know (almost for certain) that something else must have been wrong (maybe a HPF in the signal path) to account for that result.

Maybe it's a DJ thing... quick to assume they know all the facts and make an opinion based on incorrect facts. I see this kind if thing all the time, pretty sad actually. Guys buying new gear to correct a "problem" that doesn't really exist. Just figured out the problem today with a DJ guy's system that sounded anemic. He spent a lot of money on a new speaker system because the old one was anemic sounding. They got him but good too. Turns out he was using 1/8" TRS mini to dual 1/4" TS cables that were insert cables and one of the 1/4" TS was wired out of phase so the two signals were cancelling leaving only the difference signal (LT-RT) as what was being amplified. Looks like a whole batch got made this way. Replaced the cables on his laptop outs and surprise, both his old speakers and new speakers no longer sounded anemic.

He spent anout $2k to "fix" a $50 problem.

This is why I don't believe what dcastar is saying. It doesn't match my controlled tests, and I am pretty detail oriented.

• Members

f apparently you lost all faith in my ears... fine, I can say the same thing about your ears... and I guess my move from HPRs to TQ445s with a Wideline series sub must suck as well.
:facepalm:

My ears do suck. Way too many years in front of a very loud drummer.

I didn

• Members

A. Of course most GC employees are out of work muscians. First off, you can't work there AND be a busy working musician. Secondly, the pay is low and even if you sell a ton of gear, your commision is still nothing fancy. Some items to "GP" more, but you sell what you can.

B. I'm going to go ahead and call your "es-GC" salesman a complete liar. Not only is his comments no true, it's a fireable offense and I know from personal experiance this would never happen. The "LIVE" rooms are checked often by multiple levels of people...managers, pro sound sales reps and more. This would get caught everytime within hours.

I

• CMS Author

Likewise, I speak from experience. It seems like every turn, whenever I question a PRX speaker and compare it to something else - you go into uber star wars laser defense mode. What's with the JBL Fanboy Status?
:cop:

Hey, thanks for jumping all over my shit. I can see how asking if you've got objective info and suggesting you be sure of the signal path in a store notorious for shenanigans (I had a good Pro Sound mgr. at my local GC store too...he showed me what he caught his employees trying) could be perceived as "uber star wars laser defense mode JBL Fanboy Status".

I never questioned your ability to plug anything in. I asked whether your post was based on fact or opinion.

• Members

I ran sound for band about 6 months ago, that had their own sound system which were, prx 535 over 1 prx518 and I thought they sounded awesome. I can't be sure but if memory serves well I think the subs have a DJ setting, I didn't use it, so I'm not sure if thats what caused them to sound weak to you at GC, this is just a guess.In the last few years of all the speakers I've used the prx in my opinion are the best sounding in that price range.You might take a look at the proel flash 15sa $450.00 each you could move a lot of air with 4 of them.

Archived