Array Systems and structures

• Members

I've been attending big shows for years but never really paid attention to the different way speakers are arranged on a stage and apparently there is a whole school of thought about that. Anyway, I ran into this little education article today and thought I'd share it because it is quite interesting. Now when I go to festivals, during set changes I will have something to think about!

http://en.audiofanzine.com/live-sound/articles/Zoned-Summed-Line-Array-Structures.html

• CMS Author

Now when I go to festivals, during set changes I will have something to think about!

You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Eventually you'll reach the point where the actual show is secondary to the production details. You'll miss that great solo because you're trying to get a better look at monitor world, or wondering if that's a B-52 in the kick drum, and if so, why does it sound like a D112......

Sorry.....:lol:

• Members

You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Eventually you'll reach the point where the actual show is secondary to the production details. You'll miss that great solo because you're trying to get a better look at monitor world, or wondering if that's a B-52 in the kick drum, and if so, why does it sound like a D112......

Sorry.....
:lol:

THIS IS TRUE. My wife hates going to concerts with me. I

• Members

Went to the Ringling Bros circus with my GF and during the 30 min pre-show while she was in the ring watching the ponies, jugglers and acrobats I was over at the far edge, staring into the empty orchestra pit taking note of their monitoring system and the guitar players amp modeler.

• CMS Author

It does help pass the time if the show sucks. I took my then-teenaged older daughter to see Incubus at the then-First Union Center, which has terrible acoustics. The mix was awful, and vocals were obliterated by room mud. Luckily I had brought ear protection, so I sat back in relative silence, watched FOH and monitor world operating, stared at the rigging and backline, and left without ears ringing....

• Members

Ever since I started doing sound, my wife knows that when we arrive at a venue I HAVE to go check out the equipment. And she has accepted the fact that if the mix is off, I am going to bitch about it. I try not to unless it is someone I really like.

But I also realize that if I ever decide to hang it up (it is a second job for me, not my primary source of income) I still will never listen to a live show the same way ever again. I will always be picking apart the sound. It's kind of a part of me now.

And friends of mine have come back from seeing bands elsewhere and come up to me and said "They could have used you at the board". It made me feel good, especially when one of the shows they said that about was a recent Beach Boys show.

• Members

My wife and kids are all starting to get the "critical ear" for sound. We were at a wedding this fall and my 12 year old daughter asked if I would go fix the DJ's sound system so it wouldn't hurt her ears. I told her the DJ would get upset because he would obviously know more than me. :poke:

• Members

Ever since I started doing sound, my wife knows that when we arrive at a venue I HAVE to go check out the equipment. And she has accepted the fact that if the mix is off, I am going to bitch about it. I try not to unless it is someone I really like.

My wife hates that about me. And now I have to ignore the sound and not say ANYTHING about it, no matter how bad it is.

• Members

My wife hates that about me. And now I have to ignore the sound and not say ANYTHING about it, no matter how bad it is.

It's just like training yourself to say, "Yes honey, you look great." It takes time, but you can do it.

• Members

This is the tradeoff, I guess. I've been doing all kinds of work the past few years in recording studios, video production/editing, live sound and lighting... and now it seems all media is encompassed in it's development for me.

I can't watch a movie without paying so much attention to the production (camera moves/pans, CG and editing, audio post etc) that the movie itself is lost in it's production value. I really liked that District 9, in the way that it was shot, was stripped of it's "production value" being shot in a mockumentary style... so I could focus on the story! Avatar is great too, but I spent too much time going "wow... how did they DO that??"

It's sort of the same thing with concerts, but I'm a music lover first, sound man second. I went and saw RATM in 2007 and couldn't care less about the PA (I spent the first 2 days and most of the 3rd in absolute awe of Dave Rat's dual hung V-DOSC rig at Coachella). So at least for me I can enjoy the show without getting hung up on the PA details. That is, unless the mix is really {censored}ty.

Archived