EAW KF650e - Large Upgrade?

• Members

Just want some opinions...

I've found a cat who has some EAW KF650e's for about 1800/pr. Wondering if it's a marked upgrade from my EAW LA325's.

Overall I really liek the sound of the 325's, just want the ability to get louder, especially outside. I've never heard the 650e, so I'm trying to decide whether to travel up to the bay area to check 'em out.

THoughts? Opinions?

They actually have 4, so in theory I could get all 4. I get the weight issues, but since the KF's are actually lighter than the 325's I'm not terribly worried ;)

Thanks,

Todd

• Members

Hmmm, Sounds like this is doable. I am a large Guy, and I can lift the 325's and get them on top of subs if I have to, so having 650's would be less difficult ;)

Would love to find a way to keep the 325's tho, hehe Can you imagine, 4 KF650's in FOH and 325 for sidefills? I'd be right popular :)

Although probably with a bad back hehehe

T

• Members

If you are doing venues where you could actually use the output that the KF650's have then it would be a worth while upgrade.

Then you have to consider what subs you have :thu:

Personaly I love the sound of the LA325, every time I have heard them they have impressed me. As long as one cab per side gets the job done I would stay with the LA325.

Just my opinion

• CMS Author

Yeah, if you're doing a large range of venue sizes, having both is probably worth the extra cost and storage. It would also let you eventually have "A" and "B" rigs if needed, with both being quite nice.

But you definitely need to divine whether you've got enough large-venue income to justify four monsters.

It's like predicting the weather:lol:

• Members
If you are doing venues where you could actually use the output that the KF650's have then it would be a worth while upgrade.

Then you have to consider what subs you have
:thu:

Yah, I think a local here has 2 pairs over 8 lab subs - that system can seriously put the hurt on yah! Maybe 2500 people indoors? IME tops are cheap/light/small compared to the subs it takes to keep up with them - especially outdoors :eek:!

• Members

Does he has the Mx prosssor? Or try to budget for the Ux 8800 processor, alot of folks have said it breathed new life into their 650-850 rigs. 1800 a pair is a very very good price if they are in decent shape.

2 guys can lift one on the La400 but you might need a spacer to boost them a foot taller.

• Members

I don't know on the MX, but I have an Ashly 3.24C, which can do the processing until I afford an UX8800 :). Yeah, I

m know about the Ground stack issue there I was thinking about it. Would have to figure out that spacer, and that would only get them to 7'. I like it when I have my partners LA128's then the horn of the 325's are up at 8', and sound just fantastic.

Hehehe, Expensive hobby we have, eh?

T

Archived