Can phantom power damage dynamic microphones?

• Members

Can phantom power damage dynamic microphones? I thought I read that somewhere once.

I just got a condensor mic (Shure Beta 187a! Sounds great!) but the rest of my band uses various dynamic mics. There is only one button to turn phantom power on/off for all channels on the mixer. I assume the dynamic mics and other inputs can handle the phantom power even if they don't need it. Am I right about that?

• Members

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Phantom power can damage some ribbon microphones. Applying phantom power to modern dynamics (anything REALLY old might do something weird like shock you, but that's unlikely) won't damage or affect anything, because they're designed to accept it without harm. It's a good idea to avoid plugging in or unplugging any mics connected to phantom power while the system is hot and the levels are up... POP fzz POP. It's a good idea to avoid plugging anything in or unplugging anything while the system is hot and levels are up, anyways.

• Members

I assume you mean "87a". There is no "187", at least not made by Shure ;)

Dynamics are fine with phantom, however they can create huge pops when phantom gets turned on/off or when they are plugged or unplugged while phantom is on.

Mute the board when rewiring or pushing the button. The pop goes to all outputs (i.e. mains & monitors) so it's not enough just to pull the master faders down, you also need to mute any Aux sends or (best) make sure that all power amps are still off.

• Members

I assume you mean "87a". There is no "187", at least not made by Shure
;)

Oops... :facepalm:

I guess I like this mic so much I got excited and added 100. :lol:

Yes, it's a Beta 87a.

Thanks for the helpful information, guys.

What makes a mic good for gangsta rap? :confused:

I like to scream sometimes, :rawk: but I got this mic because my {censored}ty old mic was feeding back too much and I read some good reviews.

• Members

No problem so long as the mic cables are OK. If a mic cable were to have a short between pin 1 and either pin 2 or 3, you might get enough phantom current through the mic to damage it. (Andy might be better able to asses the possibility of this.)

Archived