Best ways to sub mix additional instruments on a 16 channel board.

• Members

A bit of a dilemma here. We're a high energy dance band that is running out of room on a 16 channel board. We have a 16 Ch. Allen & Heath Mix Wiz which we love very much. Into that board we've used (I believe) nearly every channel mixing drums (4), vocals (4), guitars (2) Keys (2-in stereo) drum sampler, acoustic, DJ equipment... . We've decided to add a 6th member to the group and we are out of mixer inputs.

Now I submix my many keys through my amp... I have several keyboards I run in stereo to a Traynor K4... which I run to the FOH mixer in stereo. My sub is a good friend, and I've loan him this amp while I've been recovering.

I've returned to play a couple of shows and we've played together side by side. It's incredibly dynamic. We cover all kinds of parts together I would normally have to drop out on. When I've returned for these shows I've brought a seperate line mixer with a DI, submixed my additional keyboards, and plugged into an available input on my keys amp. It's worked like a charm.

He's a great player, great personality... he brings a little extra to the group. We've decided that when I return to add him as a permenant member.

To make matters a bit more complicated... when I return, I'll be on the opposite side of the stage. So we can't really share the same amp to submix all of our keyboards... unless we want 30ft cables running back and forth.

So how would you effectively organize all of this to accomodate 16 channels on the main FOH board. Keep in mind... we're not going to upgrade the board at this point.

This would effectively be the setup

Ch-1 lead Vocals

Ch-2 Backing vocals

Ch-3 Backing Vocals

Ch 4 Backing vox

Chan 5 Lead guitar

Chan 6 Rhythm guitar

Chan 7 Bass

Chan 8 kick

Chan 9 snare

Chan 10 tom

Chan 11 tom

Chan 12-His Keys mono

Chan 13- My keys mono

Chan 14- Drum sampler

Chan 15-Acoustic

Chan 16 DJ

Chan 17- his guitar?

I have a 10 channel line mixer we could use near the snake to collectively send all the keys into one channel. How disruptive would that be to the sound? What's the best way to approach this.

• Members

Why are you running the DJ equipment into a channel on the mixwiz?

Why don't you put a 15 or 31 band EQ on the signal from the DJ and send that into the ST2 return on the board?

Then you still have everything covered with just the mixwiz.

• Members

I wouldn't go with the kick mic plus overhead option. Unless that was the last option. I'd send the keys into the line mixer, considering the EQ for the keys will probably be somewhat similar. I'd also never use a y-cable to combine too different mics.. Asking for A TON of major issues there.. One toms louder than the other.. One guys voice isn't the same as the other guys voice, thus requiring seperate eq settings.

The one overhead works well outdoors or in large rooms where you're wanting some cymbals in the mix... But not indoors when that's the last thing you need more of!

Putting two VERY similar instruments into one line mixer (keyboards) seems best. Perhaps purchase a very small 4/6 channel yamaha mixer and use as a keyboard sub mixer.

• Members

He'd also need a new snake for the bigger board = even more $$$.

Actually I'm surprised he doesn't have a channel taken up by a talkback mic? Not having a separate talkback input is one of the few things that sucks about the MixWiz :(. My 'ringer MX3242X had that and still had 16 mic channels, subgroups and a full meter bridge to boot and was still rack mountable :p.

• Members

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Actually I was a bit wrong on somethings so I asked for some clarification from our sound guy.

Ch-1 - Lead vox

Ch-2 - Bass vox

Ch-3 - Guitar vox

Ch-4 - Drum vox

Ch-5 - lead guitar

Ch-6 - rhythm guitar

Ch-7 - Bass

Ch-8 - Sampler

Ch-9 - keyboard

Ch-10 - keyboard

Ch-11 - Kick

Ch-12 - snare

Ch-13 - rack toms

Ch-14 - floor tom

Ch-15 - acoustic

Ch-16 - mp3 / dj

AUX 1 - Vox in ear monitor

AUX 2 - Vox in ear monitor

AUX3 - Vox in ear monitor

AUX 4 - Drummer stage monitor

AUX 5 - Internal Board effects

AUX 6 - Keyboard stage monitor

The keyboards are usually setup in stereo, so we would just run them in mono from each side of the stage to accomodate both rigs. I would use the line mixer on my side of the stage to run my keys into one channel. I guess we could run the acoustic into the line mixer as well? (we use it for just one song per night and not at every show).

• Members
Yep, either consider Sys-Link and another Mixwiz (only because you stated you love the mixer) or move up in framesize to a GL- series. they're everything you love about the Mixwiz, on steroids.

I got my hands on a A&H GL-2400-32;4 last week What a beautiful board.:thu:

• Members

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Actually I was a bit wrong on somethings so I asked for some clarification from our sound guy.

Ch-1 - Lead vox

Ch-2 - Bass vox

Ch-3 - Guitar vox

Ch-4 - Drum vox

Ch-5 - lead guitar

Ch-6 - rhythm guitar

Ch-7 - Bass

Ch-8 - Sampler

Ch-9 - keyboard

Ch-10 - keyboard

Ch-11 - Kick

Ch-12 - snare

Ch-13 - rack toms

Ch-14 - floor tom

Ch-15 - acoustic

Ch-16 - mp3 / dj

The keyboards are usually setup in stereo, so we would just run them in mono from each side of the stage to accomodate both rigs. I would use the line mixer on my side of the stage to run my keys into one channel. I guess we could run the acoustic into the line mixer as well? (we use it for just one song per night and not at every show).

Here's my suggestion.

Ch-1 - Lead vox

Ch-2 - Bass vox

Ch-3 - Guitar vox

Ch-4 - Drum vox

Ch-5 - lead guitar

Ch-6 - rhythm guitar

Ch-7 - Bass

Ch-8 - Sampler

Ch-9 - keyboard

Ch-10 - keyboard

Ch-11 - Kick

Ch-12 - snare

Ch-13 - tom

Ch-14 - tom

Ch-15 - floor tom

Ch-16 - acoustic

Run the mp3 player into one of the stereo returns in the mono input

• Members

I know I'm late to the party, but this is what I'd do:

Ch-1 - Lead vox

Ch-2 - Bass vox

Ch-3 - Guitar vox

Ch-4 - Drum vox

Ch-5 - lead guitar

Ch-6 - rhythm guitar

Ch-7 - Bass

(All above like you presently do it)

Ch-8 - Buy an inexpensive 4, 6 or 8 channel board and sub-mix the Sampler and keyboards.

Ch-9 - Buy an inexpensive 4, 6 or 8 channel board and sub-mix the drums.

Ch-10 - mp3 / dj

That leaves you 6 channels for future expansion- and as imnotded mentioned, you WILL expand.

8-channel boards would be best, and not much more money. They needent be top quality- heck, you could probably get by with (GASP!) Behringer boards for that. You will find other uses for them after they have been around a while.

• Members

While a little reverb on the snare can be real nice, drop the snare as an input. The tom mics and the vocal mics should pick up the snare adaquately unless it's muffled to hell. I avoid "Y"ing mics like the plague, too many disadvantages, a net loss of definition. Yes, put the drum sampler through the line mixer for one of the keys to free up another channel. Also a dedicated channel for a one time use acoustic guitar is a HUGE waste. Reroute that through the key line mixer, too. You've got a lot of musicians for a 16 channel board so compromises will have to be made. You really need to seriously look at either a 2nd Mixwiz with SYS-Link or a GL2400-24 AND a 24 input channel snake. Sub-mixing drums or anything else other than keys on-stage is a bad compromise. To put it bluntly, your band with that mixer will flat out suck PA-wise for an outdoor show ;>(

Boomerweps

Archived