Favorite hi-hat mic

• Members

I use Mark's (Audiopile) drum mic kits so the little condenser is used on the HH.

That said, I find that I sometimes get too much sizzle from it. Beside turning down the input gain, what are some methods to tame the beast? Eq? Dynamics?

Sorry to derail the thread.

• Members

I use Mark's (Audiopile) drum mic kits so the little condenser is used on the HH.

That said, I find that I sometimes get too much sizzle from it. Beside turning down the input gain, what are some methods to tame the beast? Eq? Dynamics?

Sorry to derail the thread.

Point at centre of hi-hat for more clunk less sizzle?

• Members

The Oktava MK012 with the cardoid cap is my favorite. It also works well for a two or three point drum mic configuration. But like everyone else I keep a pair of SM81s in the locker.

+1 for the Octava 012 (I think they sound a little better than the 81 and are a lot cheaper) but....... 20 years from now the SM 81 is still going to work perfectly. I'll bet the same can't be said for the Octava (not that they're bad but Shure is legendary in their reliability).

As stated there are better mics (AKG C451E, AKG Blueline, Neumann KM84, just to name a few) but they all cost much more and except for extremly critical use IMO aren't worth the extra bucks. Best Bang for Buck = SM 81

Archived