How to achieve best sound, touring solo singer-songwriter

• Members

I am wanting to enhance my live sound for a tour of listening houses. Folk, Americana, singer-songwriter type thing. Small crowds, generally less than 100 people. (Sometimes only a few, haha.) Me and acoustic guitar, that's it. It's all so confusing even for something that simple, since I am certainly not very good at sound.

How should I go about this? I am at a point in my life where I have some money and the best sound I can get is what I want. Within reason. I'm no great guitarist, not a great singer, I just get by and hope my songs are exceptional. And... I love hearing good sound! Do people hire sound experts to help them sound their best? So many variables!

Of course, if it's a decent venue, they will have PA and maybe even a sound man. So, a PA wouldn't be needed. For some places, it would. And for those with a PA, there are still many things to own to provide a good sound.

I have several guitars, some acoustic only. I would anticipate using two or three guitars. If I need to mic the guitars, so be it. My best guitars are a Martin D35, no electronics (I could possibly add that). And a Taylor Baritone 8-string, which has the Taylor Expression system. Also, a Washburn, no electronics, that I really like.

I have a Bose L1 with sub. I also have a traditional PA, using two 10" powered speakers. I have two Behringer mixers, need something better.

I am considering going to two Bose Compacts. I don't know if the sound will be any better than the L1 setup but... it might be... plus, if I have two Compacts, one could pull off the show in the event of one failing. Of course, size matters. I can only haul so much gear.

I do not have a pre-amp/DI. Reading up on that is confusing. Baggs para Di... Avalon... I have no idea. Or if I even need one. But I am wanting the best sound I can get. Do I need one for guitar and also for vocal?

Type of mics, type of mixer, sheesh. What types of effects?

I know it's complicated, how in the world do you achieve your best sound? Is there no other way other than years of trial and error?

I guess the point is... I have some money to spend, I want great sound and don't know what to do. I need expert help. How should I go about it?

And... sometimes, I would have sidemen.

EIDT: Meaning acoustic instruments or maybe bass player. Primarily, I am concerned about solo sound. It's just me and a guitar and I need the best sound I can get, whatever that is. I play everything from Johnny Cash type stuff to James Taylor-ish to Steve Earle-ish.

• Members

I edited my post... sidemen being acoustic instruments, perhaps a bass player. I have done many shows as a trio. But again, we are talking about listening venues. Folk, some folk rock, country, Americana. Primarily, I am concerned about solo sound. It's just me and a guitar and I need the best sound I can get, whatever that is. I play everything from Johnny Cash type stuff to James Taylor-ish to Steve Earle-ish.

• Members

Do you enjoy the Bose that you already have? If yes, maybe you can do pretty well with just more of it...

Dynacord's D-lite 1000 seems to be a good match as well. If you go with something like that use your powered boxes as monitors.

And yes, people do hire soundmen/engineers to sound their best...

• Members

using two 10" powered speakers.

Which ones? What mics do you use for what? Speakers and mics make the most difference. Mixers really don't sound all the different. Would that be an acoustic bass, upright bass or electric bass and could you rely on his amp covering the venue or do you really think you need it in the PA too?

• Members

LiveMusic,

I'm somewhat in the same boat as you.(Acoustic-guitar/vocals solo/duo). To me, it's about putting on the best performance possible, then "capturing" that sound with good-quality mic's, shaping the tone with a "musical sounding" mixer, and putting it all out through reasonably high-fidelity speakers. Vocal clarity/intelligibility are important for me.

Obviously, vocal mics can be a very personal choice, so you'd simply have to try a few until you find something you like. The EV ND 767a(???) is a mic that often gets high praise, but I've never tried one myself. (haven't found one to try actually)

I think the mixer is often the biggest impediment to quality sound, when you're looking at the compact/portable mixers. I wish that SOMEONE would put out a FULL-FEATURED channel-strip compact mixer for acoustic-guitar solo/duo acts. It seems that when you're looking at these portable mixers, that they sacrifice things like EQ's with swept mids, or aux sends (for monitors). Pisses me off. Give me four-six MixWiz3-type channel-strips, and I'll be the happiest guy on the planet. I don't care if it has 100mm faders, so for the sake of compactness, gimme rotary fader-kobs, but make the damned knobs a bit "BIGGER". I could care less about USB/Firewire, and any other gizmo's. For FX, a decent-sounding reverb is all I ask.

• Members

Thanks for your post. I don't mean having a soundman at the gig if that is what you mean. I mean hiring some type of expert (one time thing) to consult with me and design a system. I am talking about everything from...

vocal mics

pre

guitar pickup/mic

pre

mixer

speakers

effects units

I have learned alot about favored systems through forums. But then I gotta know how to dial it in once I buy something. And I don't have that expertise, I'm a songwriter.

So, we're talking about quite a few variables. If you're wanting to sound decent, I got decent already. I don't want to sound decent, I want to sound as good as I can, I have some money and I don't have the expertise. And then, how would you go about this? Would you test this and that somewhere until you found a good sound?

Here's a point. Sometimes I get lucky and get a good recording on a raw demo. Vocally or maybe it's my guitar, I'm thinking, wow, that sounds really good. So, the hope is that someone could help dial in better live sound that what I have.

For instance, I have a baritone voice. Think Johnny Cash (on some songs). You need to enhance your strong points. And as I said, I am not a great singer, neither was Johnny Cash, but it's unique. So, on those types of songs, enhancing the deepness, making it richer, fatter... better... and I suppose only trial and error can identify "better."

• Members

Go to Guitar Center and try some different mics. I'd guess a Shure Beta 58A - I like that one on a low/gravelly male voice - warm with lots of "bottom". Maybe try an ElectroVoice PL80A also. Unfortunately if you just call up some random sound guy the odds are against you.

• Members

Do you enjoy the Bose that you already have? If yes, maybe you can do pretty well with just more of it...

Dynacord's D-lite 1000 seems to be a good match as well. If you go with something like that use your powered boxes as monitors.

AllexCosta,

What is a D-Lite 1000 selling for? I called a buddy who used to sell Dynacord, but unfortunately, he no longer carries the line.

Archived