My current setup question.

• Members

WithoutXover.jpg

So this is my setup. Im curious if this will work good enough for medium venues such as bars. I know this looks like a normal setup but It is quite differant. No crossover except for onboard amp crossovers. Let me know if you have some tips or anything you would change. Thanks a bunch.

I should note that eventually I am getting a crossover and another EQ. But money is tight and I dont quite have that as an option yet. So I need to get by a couple gigs with this setup.

~ DD

• Members

Why no crossover? Seems rather odd.

What are teh amps in use? Do they have a crossover? Is it fixed, LPF/HPF?? Without knowing I couldn't say. Right off the bat I wonder why there is no crossover in the system...

IF you were to get a crossover and run stereo (dual mono), you'd need both channels of the EQ you have. I'd recommend getting a stereo 31band eq as well and using it for monitor mix 1 and 2. Whenever there is an amp channel there should be a 31band eq right before it (eq to x-over to mains amps though).

• Members

One amp is a yamaha amp which powers the JBL subs. The amp has a built in crossover. The other amp is a QSC which powers two yamaha concert series Speakers. The Qsc also has a crossover.

I should note that eventually I am getting a crossover and another EQ. But money is tight and I dont quite have that as an option yet. So I need to get by a couple gigs with this setup

LOL Ill repeat this. Again its not the want of a 32 band eq and a crossover. Its rightnow I need to pull a couple gigs to get the money to get these items. This is not a setup that I want to get by with forever.

• Members

The QSC GX3 and GX5 do have an internal crossover, in fact they are the ONLY QSC amps with a crossover. Yamaha latest P series amps also have variable crossovers between 25 and 150hz 12dB/oct. Between the two amps I'm sure that a proper system can be worked out. I think the slope on the yamaha is not deep enough, 24dB/oct would be about right which is why I'd still get an analog crossover.

• Members

The QSC GX3 and GX5 do have an internal crossover, in fact they are the ONLY QSC amps with a crossover. Yamaha latest P series amps also have variable crossovers between 25 and 150hz 12dB/oct. Between the two amps I'm sure that a proper system can be worked out. I think the slope on the yamaha is not deep enough, 24dB/oct would be about right which is why I'd still get an analog crossover.

The GX only has a single HP and single LP channel in the same amp. The way the drawing is set up, this doesn't match any QSC product I am aware of with the exception of some older PLX's that were equipped with custom filter boards inside on the aux signal processing bus. There are also the Series 1, and ISA that include crossover possibilities. Again, one channel is HP and one channel is LP.

Archived