Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

MC2404 any good? Or too old to be worth it?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MC2404 any good? Or too old to be worth it?

Title pretty much says it all. Yamaha MC2404 going cheap on ebay, is it worth a serious think? I reckon it will cost about A$400, which is about what you'd pay for a behringer xenxy 1832fx. I'm looking for a cheap 24 channel mixer.

ive heard good things about these but aware that its seriously old.

heath

Pretty old (ESPECIALLY the original), some parts are NLA. Probably not a great buy unless they really are in clean operating condition. Is this an original 2402 or a 2404-II?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

I have an old MC 1202 I use for my personal band rehearsal since I retired it about 6 years ago. It's a good sounding board but the parametric pots and faders have needed work in the past. There is a similar sized Ramsa board on the PSW for sale for 450 OBO. I have a few older Ramsa boards in my recording studio and I think most Ramsa boards are a step above the MC series. Here's the Ramsa link. http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/53478/21711/
      http://www.ameranouche.com/
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thl46...eature=related

Comment

There was nothing wrong with either the Yamahas or Ramsas, but both are long in the tooth and parts for both are really getting hard to find. The Ramsas were discontinued well before Yamaha's and Panasonic has had a really crappy track record for supporting their products with parts. Anybody still have an SX-1? Great board, no support.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Comment

Only curious about this one cos of the price. he says its 100% but who'd really know?

What price point would it be equivalent today? Was it entry level or more middle?

Comment

In its day that was an entry-pro board. IF (if if if) it's 100% it's a pretty good deal, especially considering Oz prices. I found an old (Aug '09) listing for a clean one asking $700USD.

If it's not 100%, it's almost worthless due to the parts issues Andy posted. You really don't want to get into the business of buying old MC's in order to cobble one working unit...

If it's close enough to visit, bring along enough gear to test it, and check every path and control. Figure on it taking a good hour or more, just so you can let the seller know.
            "If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else" - Yogi Berra, 1925-2015

Comment

They are not all that hard to work on but due to the construction style, it's time consuming.

Comment

I mix on a 2404 quite regularly, I agree with the general consensus that you should only buy it if it is in great condition and your getting a mega deal on it. 4 aux's is limiting, the EQ is half decent, but it is very easy to clip the mic pre's IMO.

Comment

seems to have disappeared off ebay.... ah well.

Comment

Karma. No doubt someone's looking out for you.
                    "If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else" - Yogi Berra, 1925-2015

Comment

but it is very easy to clip the mic pre's IMO.

Not if you use the input gain control as it's designed to be used.

Comment

does the 2404 have those "switching" gain controls?

Comment

Anybody still have an SX-1? Great board, no support.

There's a guy out west who still services them. We (day job) got rid of our last one less than a year ago. We never had a problem getting a module fixed.

Comment

does the 2404 have those "switching" gain controls?

No, it's continuous. Same basic circuit as the PM-1200, M-2000, M-3000, etc. Works very well.

Comment

Back on these things again.

Just how old are they? The one i am seeing available now is grey and has 4 band EQ (the previous one was black with 3). These things seem to become available every now and then here.

As a secondary qn but related: I am looking for a cheap larger (24 XLR channel or more) mixer... thats why i'm looking at the MCs... don't want to spend a fortune because its for a few gigs a year but hire is such a hassle here. Would buying an old MC, lets say it cost me thereabouts to $500, would that be a better buy than buying something like a Behringer 3242 for say, $800?

Is the Yamaha in that age group actually going to sound better than the Behringer in real use? Is it going to be any more reliable?

Comment

Working...
                              X