help with subs

• Members

I've got 2 mackie 1530's as mains and I want to add a sub. Which one should I pick? I will run it through the aux send post-fader. Help a brother out!

Why do you want a sub? Are you hittin' the clip limiters on them? Those are stoopid loud full range tops - you'd need a pair of double 18's to start to keep up with them in a conventional crossed-over mains/subs system :eek:.

I'd just keep running them full range and put a pair of these under them if you want the modern "hot sub" sound:

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/peavey-pv118d-kit.html

• Members

Why do you want a sub? Are you hittin' the clip limiters on them? Those are stoopid loud full range tops - you'd need a pair of double 18's to start to keep up with them in a conventional crossed-over mains/subs system
:eek:

I'd just keep running them full range and put a pair of these under them if you want the modern "hot sub" sound:

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/peavey-pv118d-kit.html

I like how that Peavey sub has a peak power handling of 2400 watts yet only 400 watt built in amp. By the way those 1530s have a peak of 126 Dbs and long term 123 Dbs I don't know if I would call that stupid loud. :)

• Members
Don't think I've ever seem a kick's fundamental under 60hz?

I see. Depends on the internal volume, the heads, and how it is tuned. That really isn't the point. The poiont is that pulling those frequencies out of them and giving them to a speaker than can handle them more easily helps in more than one way. It'll free the Macks up to do a better job with the other frequencies. Not a huge fan of the particular model, and I cringe think about trying to make them rattle some walls with lows while also staying quick and clear with the other frequencies.

• Members
I see. Depends on the internal volume, the heads, and how it is tuned. That really isn't the point. The poiont is that pulling those frequencies out of them and giving them to a speaker than can handle them more easily helps in more than one way. It'll free the Macks up to do a better job with the other frequencies. Not a huge fan of the particular model, and I cringe think about trying to make them rattle some walls with lows while also staying quick and clear with the other frequencies.

If they weren't three-ways I'd agree. They really are designed to carry the bottom end without subs - just can't get the "hot sub" sound out of them without some help :).

• Members
If they weren't three-ways I'd agree. They really are designed to carry the bottom end without subs - just can't get the "hot sub" sound out of them without some help
:)

well, nut at the levels we would want, that's for sure. And the cone mid doesn't carry all of the midrange frequencies.Probably crossed over at 500-800hz maybe?

• Members
I can't think of much to compliment the 1530's (or keep up with) for less than 1000.00 I've used one LS800P with two 1530's. It keeps up. Two LS800P's under two 1530's sounds really good and you won't push the ls800p's at all.

I've used a friend's 4 LS800s a couple times with different tops and they were working very hard. They don't sound nearly as loud once you smooth the big hump out of them. Still a good choice for max thump from a relatively decent size.

• Members

I've used a friend's 4 LS800s a couple times with different tops and they were working very hard. They don't sound nearly as loud once you smooth the big hump out of them. Still a good choice for max thump from a relatively decent size.

What tops did you use with them? Outdoors?

• Members

indoor club with pretty high levels. probably 350 capacity, tall ceiling with a small balcony half way around the room. Typical setups for the better bands there are 2/2 side SRX4732 over 4719 or equivolent.

I've never had a problem covering 300+ people with TWO ls800ps? The two SRX stacks per side would be MORE than enough for that type of crowd. Four ls800p's would be MORE than enough in that typical situation IMO.

It's been argued and I think agreed on that ONE LS800p per two mackie 1530s are a nice fit.

• Members
I've never had a problem covering 300+ people with TWO ls800ps? The two SRX stacks per side would be MORE than enough for that type of crowd. Four ls800p's would be MORE than enough in that typical situation IMO.

It's been argued and I think agreed on that ONE LS800p per two mackie 1530s are a nice fit.

yes, the SRX and similar EAW's setups worked quite well, they were being pushed pretty well. We are talking mini-concert atmosphere, not dinner and a sideshow thing.

• Members

I don't think that there is a hump per say within the normally used subwoofer frequencies......but what frequency are you smoothing out?

Curious....

• Members

I don't think that there is a hump per say within the normally used subwoofer frequencies......but what frequency are you smoothing out?

Curious....

I've seen that measurement from yorkville quite a few times. There are 3 bands and 2 dj's in my area that have those subs. I had a set as well. When I measure them they all more or less depending on the room look like this photo. In this photo I was looking at the crossover knob all the way down,at 12 o'clock and all the way up. They have an 80hz or so peak in them.

Is this your measurement?

Dookietwo

In fairness this is the LS800p we are talking about. The other graph is of the LS808 which is the NON powered version.

• Members

I've seen that measurement from yorkville quite a few times. There are 3 bands and 2 dj's in my area that have those subs. I had a set as well. When I measure them they all more or less depending on the room look like this photo. In this photo I was looking at the crossover knob all the way down,at 12 o'clock and all the way up. They have an 80hz or so peak in them.

Is this your measurement?

Dookietwo

In fairness this is the LS800p we are talking about. The other graph is of the LS808 which is the NON powered version.

That measurement was done outside at Yorkville Sound by Todd and the boys.

Was your measurement done inside Doug?

• Members

That measurement was done outside at Yorkville Sound by Todd and the boys.

Was your measurement done inside Doug?

Both inside and out. I've never measured an LS800p that didn't have that hump in it. Here is a QSC hpr181i sub measured in the same room.

Dookietwo

Archived