Was it just me or did they ....

• Members

... have a backup vocal track for Roger Daltry at the Super Bowl? It sounded as if as soon as Daltry's voice started to strain all of a sudden it would sound real good as if they were bringing his live voice out of the mix and a prerecorded one in. I heard this a few times or at least I thought I did.

Thoughts?

• CMS Author

His scream had to be a track. I may be the only one who sensed that the energy dropped out of the last song....I thought maybe there was a mix or technical problem, but maybe they just ran out of steam.

It was an awful vocal performance IMHO. Their songs don't lend well to backing vox, so he's got to carry the whole song, and he simply doesn't have the range any more.

• CMS Author

Or maybe a little more compression than intended?

What I was hearing was missed high notes, lack of breath support, late cues....all the signs of someone who's reaching well beyond their comfortable range. As I wrote in the other thread, I really wanted them to be better, but the reality is that it was what it was....old guys past their prime. Not everyone is the Stones and can rock their asses off into their 60's. And the fact that The Who is really just Daltry and Townsend makes it even more of a reach. And again, I'm sorry to be writing this.

• Members

This morning I've seen a few articles pointing out they think the band was all tracked, only thing live was townsends guitar and thier vox.

I've always heard thats the way it typically is done.. and would explain why I THOUGHT I saw some extra snare hits not coming through the mix... very very subtle things though... If I wasn't a drummer I'd never have known.

Anyone see a kick drum mic? I didn't get a good look but never saw one. Maybe the had a 91 laying in there.

• Members

I guess I'm a minority, but I loved the halftime show.

It gets a ten for production, {censored}, they set that stage up in minutes and it is friggin technologically amazing. Lights, pyro, lazers, I don't know what those tubes were but that was cool as {censored}.

The band. Yea, Daultry is no Sir Paul, but, I don't think it's any reason for Pete and him to pack it in. They wrote great songs and have a spectacular history. They still have tons of fans. No one does windmills like Pete, he owns that move. Pete can rock and Roger is what he is. They are the Who.

FOr what it's worth, I never heard anyone bashing Les Paul for his shows at the Iradium in the last few years. He was only a shadow of his former self. I certainly loved going there and appreciated that he was comfortable with the fact his hands were not what they once were.

A legend is a legend. Period.

• Members

It was a show - I'm sure they had the entire audio prerecorded in case the quick setup didn't work out. However it looked like the stage audio for Daltrey and Townsend was working as I can't imagine that the prerecorded version sounded like THAT :eek:. Quite possible that the rest was tracks.

Good article BTW:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?id=4896568

In any case who cares how it compares with their work 40 year ago - it was the f'in Who live :thu::love::rawk::D:p!

• Members

I may be the only one who sensed that the energy dropped out of the last song....I thought maybe there was a mix or technical problem, but maybe they just ran out of steam.

It was an awful vocal performance IMHO.

Yeah, I noticed that "ran out of steam moment" too. Townsend was playing guitar, and it almost sounded like the band had stopped playing for a few very-long seconds.

This ain't nice but, I thought Townsend looked like a dork up there. It kinda reminded me of a Niel Young performance I saw on the Tonite Show once, where Neil was trying to re-invent himself, and came out trying to act like todays metal bands. I was embarassed for him. Then wouldn't you know it, a few months later he comes out with Harvest Moon, and I thought this was one of the best songs he'd ever written.

• CMS Author

I guess I'm a minority, but I loved the halftime show.

It gets a ten for production, {censored}, they set that stage up in minutes and it is friggin technologically amazing. Lights, pyro, lazers, I don't know what those tubes were but that was cool as {censored}.

The band. Yea, Daultry is no Sir Paul, but, I don't think it's any reason for Pete and him to pack it in. They wrote great songs and have a spectacular history. They still have tons of fans. No one does windmills like Pete, he owns that move. Pete can rock and Roger is what he is. They are the Who.

FOr what it's worth, I never heard anyone bashing Les Paul for his shows at the Iradium in the last few years. He was only a shadow of his former self. I certainly loved going there and appreciated that he was comfortable with the fact his hands were not what they once were.

A legend is a legend. Period.

And nothing takes away from the fact that they're legends. But that doesn't mean you go out and attempt to do the same material you could play when you were 23. Elton John doesn't attempt to hit notes a full octave above his present voice. Bon Jovi has more backing support. Etc. My only point was the fact that a performance like that by a non-legend would be laughed at. Daltry was winded, missed high notes, gave up on others, and was flat way too often.

Change the arrangements to fit your current abilities. That's what other artists do. Les Paul was comfortable with his level of talent, and played to it. He didn't attempt what he couldn't achieve. That's aging gracefully. The Who tried to fight it, which sounds admirable here, but was embarrassing to watch. Yes, it was the {censored}ing Who live, but it wasn't :rawk:

• Members

I was SO afraid when they started into "See Me" - oh my the trainwreck awaiting.....phew - crisis averted. I agree with Craig, I'm surprised they don't re-arrange to suit what voice they have left. It was sad, and inspiring all at once.

I wonder if the live venue had the same audio surges and lulls as the TV feed?

I'd love to see the whole performance from and overhead camera angle. That stage/visual display was pretty darned cool.

Archived