how many people will these cover

• Members

hi guys, i'm thinkig of going smaller and lighter because i'm getting old(51) i wanted to know how many people would i be able to cover outside. i want to get four peavey impulse 1012s top boxes,& power them with qsc3402&3002 power amps. i have four ls700p subs. we do sound for blues and rock, and funk bands.

• Members

A pair of Impulse 1012's bi-amp'd, properly powered and processed can cover 300 outdoors at rock concert level. I'd guess them subs wouldn't keep up at all - even with only one pair of 1012's. I'd want four double 18's on an iTech 8000 - I've heard that overpowerd by a pair of 1x12+1.4" exit horn cabs outdoors :eek:. The outdoors really sucks up the low end.

• Members

127db continuous each so a pair is almost 105db at 60 feet. Say the stage is 20 feet wide then 20 x 60 = 1200 square feet. 4 square feet pp = 300 people. With the back of the audience area fanning out to 80 feet you get 10 square feet pp. At 100' you're under 100db but I'd still call it "covered" at fair volumes. All depends on how loud they really need to be? The tops would certainly blow away those four ls700p subs :).

• Members

Now factor in dynamic range and your average power goes down in a hurry. I also am not convinced you will really get 127dB SPL for very long. Just a gut feeling, haven't looked at the real numbers.

I'd think the proper subs would bring the slow weighted C up quite a bit?

We haven't even hit on his plans to run two per side for more SPL. I'd think that would be a bad idea with these 90 degree cabs, whatcha think?

I might get a chance to open my pair up this summer, I'd probably borrow an iTech4000 to power them in biamp'd mono. I know a guy that uses them for his biamp'd monitors and he owes me a favor ;).

• Members

I would say a realistic crowd covered outdoors from your rig would be 200 people max.

I would certainly look into renting either (4) more LS700P subs to go with what you currently have or, (4) SRX/QRX 218 subs properly powered.

The subs you currently have are great indoors for crowds of around 200 people but outdoors they run out of gas quickly.

• Members

i guess from what i've read so far, 4 peavey impulse 1012s powered properly could do maybe up to 500 people outside. seems like RR thinks 4 ls700ps subs would not be enough anymore opinions. they would be appreciated.

Here's the deal:

The idea of "covering" is very subjective. It depends on way too many factors, like how noisy is the area, nationality of public, age, etc...

Can your system sound nice and your audience have fun? Yes, I think so...

Is your audience going to have a "concert like" experience? No, they won't...

Kick and bass will be heard, but not felt. People will be able to enjoy the show and still talk, which is not a bad thing IMO.

Be extra careful with the mix and EQ. Intelligibility and clarity are more important than loudness and a nice EQ'd main vocal can make the difference.

Besides that, enjoy your time...

• Members

i guess from what i've read so far, 4 peavey impulse 1012s powered properly could do maybe up to 500 people outside. seems like RR thinks 4 ls700ps subs would not be enough anymore opinions. they would be appreciated.

I honestly don't think the 4 impluse 1012 can cover 500 folks outdoor for RR unless, there is a big ass bass amp and guitar amp is a 100 watt tube amp.:thu:

Since your budget is about 2 grand, if you can swing a few more bucks and find a dealer willing to cut you a deal, a pair of JBL SRX 715s would work out for you . They are only about 50 lbs a piece and the orange badge says RR. The PLX 3402 would power them nicely. But then I don't think they would cover more the 300 folks out doors.

Your subs are the weak link. For 500 folks, I would run at least 4 double 18s or some nice horn subs.:)

• Members

guys thanks for all the imputs guys keep em coming.i have peavey sp1gs but the are just too heavy. for small shows i have an old pair of jbl sr4722a which only weights 57 lbs, but i'm reluctant to buy two more and use 4 for outdoor shows because of the 100/100 horn pattern and comb filtering problem. i've not read of anyone using 4 of those splayed two per side.

• Members

100 vertical is not what I would choose vertical for outside due to wasted power, though they may have enough high end biamped to get away with it. The comb filtering issue may not be an issue at all in practice. I have a couple of these in the shop for a rebuild, when they are done maybe I will give them a listen side by side.

Archived