Pondering System Changeover

• Members

For FOH i currently run 4 -Yorkville LS1004 Double 18 subs with 4-Yorkville YX215 tops. This system has served me well in the market i do the odd show in, Mostly rock bands in bars/nightclubs and the odd hall show. Crowds generally in the 400 or less people range.

Run all speakers on the larger end of that spectrum and just 2 subs and 2 tops on the smaller shows.

I am contemplating swithcing my FOH to all powered speakers. Preferably lighter speakers as there are many shows that i end up doing everything on my own. That includes loading and unloading those approx. 150 pound sub boxes.

The QSC K series has caught my attention and I am wondering if anyone has gotten much experience with the Ksubs and K12's possibly? I like the smaller footprint and weight specs. I am in a small town so dont have opportunitys to try any types of different equipment in the area.

So basically I'm looking for comparable output/quality to what I have but something a bit more easily managed by a 1 man crew! Thanks for any suggestions!

• Members

Multiple K subs and tops could make a potent scalable PA and from what I heard I think they would array acceptably as the off-axis horn pattern is reasonably smooth.

One option if you choose to use K-Subs is to set them side by side 2, 3 or 4 wide and strap them together for a stable base. The LF performance would also increase, and I expect this will be substantial in a group of 4.

You might be able to pole mount 10's on top of the subs if there's enough clearance, otherwise you could shim the subs apart before strapping to gain another inch or so if needed.

I think this is a very viable approach, especially if scaling size from small to larger is useful to you.

• Members

Figure out what you need as far as coverage pattern (wide or deep). If you need tops that throw, then 2 speakers per side with 1" compression drivers and 90-100 degree dispersion patterns are not a good choice.

If I had the budget for 4, "OK speakers" or 2 better ones, larger exit compression drivers and better overall quality, I'd choose the better speakers.

For example, I chose the RCF 522A's because they had 90 degree dispersion, but have a 2" exit. They cover and throw. QSC K series tops just aren't going to throw terribly well.

• Members

Don't know what kind of volume you're trying to achieve. How much power are you pushing? What amps?

I would imagine that two of those tops could get pretty loud. I realize they're 600 program watts, but Yorkville is sometimes conservative in their ratings.

Those YX215's are on wheels I believe. I also imagine you just sit them on top of your subs. Except for stairs... that's pretty manageable. Maybe you should start with your subs first - hard to say.

And four double eighteens a side. If you need that much, you might be looking at something fairly upscale (Danley, KV....) if you're trying to reduce and still have lots of juice.

Having said that maybe two to four LS800P's might work.

• Members

Thanks for the responses. Some helpful suggestions here! For Subs I use an Yorkville AP4040 in stereo mode. This runs two LS1004s, so 1200 watts per box. For my YX215's I run 2 on one PV2600 in stereo mode. Yes all the speakers are on wheels. The YX215s actually arent too bad to move around with one person, and yes I do just put them on top of my subs.

I require fairly loud volumes with most of the rock bands (louder than I would prefer actually). I would call my current system just adequate for the size of rooms i go in to.

Still using a larger amp rack at the moment too so that is definately not friendly to my body.

I am using an all powered monitor rig (Four Yorkville YX15P's) and think i prefer the powered route for my application. Next time I go to the city I will just have to try some different powered speakers and see what I figure! I may end up staying with all Yorkville depending on availability of different products, but would like to consider other options if possible.

Thanks again

• Members

Just looked at what you're running and you're not getting the thump of the LS1004's with Ksubs. No way, no how. They are OK, very compact, subs, but they don't go really low and aren't going to pound like 4 1004's. I've heard the Ksubs but have not heard the Yorkville's. Still, I'm confident it won't even be a contest.

• Members

Well i guess i will just have to do some shopping around and see what i figure is going to work for my situation. Yes the LS1004's do produce quite a bit of bottom end so it might be difficult to compare to compact powered subs!

Thanks for the suggestions

• Members

One option if you choose to use K-Subs is to set them side by side 2, 3 or 4 wide and strap them together for a stable base.

I have been trying to (over)think how to stabilize these and never considered 2 strapped together. That would really help stabilize them. Sometimes the answer is much simpler then originally perceived.

Archived