Can I use a Samson powered mixer with out any speakers connected?

• Members

Hi all,

I don't know if this is the right forum or not, so I appologize if it is not. I am very very new to using this type of equipment, and have a few questions. I just bought my first powered mixer off ebay, a Samson TM300. I am just looking at messing around mainly at home, nothing really professional. I would at first be using it (if possible) with out any speakers connected to the speaker jacks at all. I would be running a mono out to a standard home A/V reciever for amplification, as I don't have pa speakers yet. I read in my manual that it is not a good idea not run the mixer with out speakers connected. I don't know if this is just because, possible damaging the speakers by plugging them in with the mixer on? Or if it will actually damage the mixer not to have them conected while it is powered up.

My next question is: My mixer is rated at 4 ohms. Does that mean I would need to buy two 4ohm speakers and just connect the right and left speaker outputs to the corresponding speakers? or would that give me a 2 ohm load? Would I need to buy two 8ohm speakers and plug them into the right and left speaker connections to give me a 4 ohm load?

I have noticed that the nomenclature on this Samson is different from other mixers I have used, The Samson doesn't have anything labled for effects or monitors, it is all aux sends and aux returns. Does anyone know of any place online that kind of explains that in terms that are more common?

Thanks,

Shawn

• Members

Most powered mixers and solid state amps are fine with no speakers connected. I don't know why that would be any different.

4 ohms is the minimum load. You can plug anything you want into it as long as the combined impedance doesn't drop below 4 ohms.

• Members

Most powered mixers and solid state amps are fine with no speakers connected. I don't know why that would be any different.

4 ohms is the minimum load. You can plug anything you want into it as long as the combined impedance doesn't drop below 4 ohms.

i think the OP is confused on the output section and how loads will work out. each side of the amp has a minimum load of 4 ohms, using (2) 4 ohm speakers with (1) in the L and (1) in the R will present a 4 ohm load to either side, NOT a 2 ohm load. the two sides dont interact.

IOW (2) 4ohm speakers, (1) in each output is a 4ohm load.

does this help?:confused:

• Members

Stereo power amp produces 150 watts per side into 4 ohms

if it were a mono amp then the loads would combine - but its not so no worries. i have a soundtech at work setup mono (loads combine) so they do exist!

good choice to ask though, so you're new here, tell us more about what you plan to do with this.

• Members

Thanks for the answer, I will be on the look out for a decent set of used 4ohm PA speakers. Any recomendations? Basically this is just a hobby. I used to ocassionly do some KJ'ing for a company called sound extreme here in upstate SC. Enjoyed it, and still have a lot of the computer equip to do it, along with about 10,000 MP3+G songs. Never really had to do much with mixers though, as most of the smaller bars we worked already had plug and play PA systems. So this will mainly be used at my home or friends homes for KJing and playing music. Very casual stuff, atleast right now. However I would really like to know what I am doing when it comes to running small to medium size systems. I have a massive amount to learn, and figured a great way to start would be by buying a decent starter mixer and just playing around, and reading up online. So that what brings me here.

Also it looks like I will be ok running the mixer with no speakers hooked up to the main outs. Correct?

Thanks,

Shawn

• Members

Also it looks like I will be ok running the mixer with no speakers hooked up to the main outs. Correct?

you should be fine.

i think you may have difficulty finding 4 ohm speakers that will really be something that will work well for you. i would recommend finding some used yamaha clubs, should be in the $400 range for a pair in good shape. they will be 8 ohm but will work decent at 150 watts.

one thing to remember when looking at speakers is to look at the efficiency of the speaker as home stereo cabs will be around 10db less efficient that PA cabs (10db is a LOT!)

i know a few karaoke guys locally, and i tell you what - if you hang out here and keep asking questions you will definitely get a leg up on how to hookup/run equipment.

• Members

Yes, I've noticed that 8ohm are more common. Wonder why they made this one 4 ohm when most of the speakers are 8? It does have the setting where it can run a pair of main house speakers and a pair of moniters. Although I think it runs both pairs in mono.

• Members

Yes, I've noticed that 8ohm are more common. Wonder why they made this one 4 ohm when most of the speakers are 8?

this is more flexible, and some speakers
are
4 ohm

It does have the setting where it can run a pair of main house speakers and a pair of moniters. Although I think it runs both pairs in mono.

very likely, amd then the two 8 ohm speakers would present a 4 ohm load to each side

you're on the right track

• Members

Yes, I've noticed that 8ohm are more common. Wonder why they made this one 4 ohm when most of the speakers are 8? It does have the setting where it can run a pair of main house speakers and a pair of moniters. Although I think it runs both pairs in mono.

They didn't "make it 4 ohms". Solid state amps have a minimum impedance they require. Too low an impedance and the power supply won't be apply to supply the current required. 4 is just the minimum, and that's a very common number with solid state amps, as is 2. You'd have to look pretty hard to find a mixer or PA amp that wouldn't support a load less than 8 ohms.

• Members

To summarize... most powered mixers at this price point will accept a four ohm load because the manufacturer wants the end user to have the flexibility to use two FOH (mains/audience) speakers and two monitor (performer) speakers.

Many/most speakers are eight ohms, and two eight ohm speakers will present a four ohm load (wired the way most powered mixers work). So this works out well.

You can just use one eight ohm speaker a side if you want to, there'll just be a slight (sometimes moderate) audible difference in headroom and/or volume.

Archived