New line, Presonus powered speakers

• Members

First thought was, oh-hum gee, yet another powered speaker. Then as I read a little more in to it my eyes started getting bigger.

http://presonus.com/products/Live-Sound-Reinforcement

First I see that Personus is working with David Gunness of Fulcrum. That really got my attention! I guess we will see and hope to hear this tuning in this line. Ive heard a few Fulcrum speakers and they sound absolutely amazing! And the price tag shows this too.

There is also some (or not) cool features programed into the DSP. Like a 31 band adjustable EQ and or a PEQ filter that both are programable via ipad/laptop to tune to the room. Wireless as well as Ethernet connections.

The three way box with the 8" woofers and coax compression driver really has my curiousty hat on.

• Members

I heard them tonight at NAMM. Very impressive, actually (they also introduced some studio monitors as well.)

They played pre-recorded and live music - Kwb Mo' was one of the performers - through the system and I was very surprised how much level two of their speakers and four subs could generate. The sound is very clean, and somewhat "studio monitorish" in character; very defined.

Frankly, I was surprised. I knew they were working on this since the 2012 Frankfurt show, and that they were saying the speakers were going to be awesome. Well, you'd expect a manufacturer to say that, but hearing is believing.

• Members

It's not clear to me how the dsp wireless and integration works. They talk about software control but then refer to interfacing with the also new Studiolive 32.4.2 AI mixer. I'm not sure if some or none of the "fancy stuff" works with anything other than this mixer. My guess is it does not.

BTW, seems similar to the Line 6 Stagescape in terms of integration with the speakers.

• Members

Pro Sound Guy wrote:

Looks like an idea taken from JBL Urei/Altec.

A proven design for sure.

I was about to say,  the 312AL  bears a striking similarity to the discontinued Turbosound TQ series with the 12/8/1 coaxial setup.

• Members

jonthomas wrote:

What is the price of that line?

The website is not very forthcoming with actual specs like "weight, SPL, etc." but tells us it has 2000 watts.

Well in one of the live stream NAMM video's they talked a little about the 2000 watts was continuious but mainly was talking about the DSP and tiny usb wifi transmitter to use with a ipad to use the speaker control software but I hear what you saying about not much details on speaker specs since in today's market place is all about  mega wattage used  to sell products.

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

2000 watts continuous would not last very long
;)

Yea I hear ya but somebody should have told the marketing guy that said that. You know the market place is full of 1000 watt speakers now a days. So guess they wanted to raise the bar to 2000 watters since now a days marketing all about mega watts for the main selling points.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

There's really a need for a performance certification company that tests the equipment and verifies the specs. Only question is how does one pay for that? CarFax has found a way. I'm pretty sure that Andy has the knowhow and possibly the equipment, but it's probably very boring work. Would you pay $10 for a report that gives the real lowdown on new equipment? I would. (Probably even more.) Could also be a subscription website. (Is the technology here already that prevents that stuff from being lifted and pasted elsewhere?) This would be a great place for that conversation.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Bump of an old thread rather that starting/hijacking a newer one...

So last Saturday I went out and watched a really good classic-rock band I've mixed several times before and know the members and their sound quite well. The gig was outside for about 300+ folks and they used their new Presonus AI system -- 16.4.2 AI with two 18" subs and a single 15" three way (coaxial med and horn) per side. All I can say is I know these guy's sound and I was truly impressed with the clarity and punch of the system overall. The PA owner was eager to show me around the AI functions including the iPad control of each speaker -- not sure my ears can hear something for the eight PEQs and a 31-band GEQ per cab to do but coupled with SMAART tools to guide calibration it certainly could be useful in certain circumstances -- moreso indoors than out I suspect. For instance, tuning individual cabs could be very beneficial in an asymmetrical venue like the one I work for.

To be perfectly honest my impression was that the owner had the marketing babble down a bit better than his understanding of just what practicable difference such a tool might make in the real world of a limited sound check in an occupied bar/restaurant but it is a new system to him so we'll how it gets used see over time. One thing that was quite noticeable (and odd?) was that the tops had a 60 degree horizontal dispersion. Would that be due to some design limitation of the coaxial mid/horn topology? Why the heck else design that way?

So Al, any chance you can get your hands on a set of these to test with your ears? I'd be very interested to read your impressions.

• Members

So Al, any chance you can get your hands on a set of these to test with your ears? I'd be very interested to read your impressions.

At 3500$ + tax for a pair of 15s, I doubt I'd be able to get a pair home to test. The store that sells Presonus is a few hours from me and although I do occasionally deal with him, I would likely have to make the trip down to test them out in store. I think this is a type of speaker that would have to be tested in a demanding live sound situation to truly see how much better they really are vs. the DSR, PRX, KW, ETX of the MI world. For my needs, I've found the DXR line to deliver the perfect blend of sound quality, output and features. I just wish they had the DSR line-X finish. How much better can the Presonus really sound though? They are a 3 way design, so I guess you should expect better midrange clarity - but for typical smaller DJ and live sound performances, I wonder how many people would notice or care. (except the soung guys). I'll have to visit the North Bay store next time I'm in the area. I'd like to hear the EV ZLX while I'm there and see if they really limit as quickly as many DJs who have tested them say. :-) You can be sure I will report if/when I do.

Al

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

OK, sorry guys for bumping this thread once again but I finally got around to looking over the Presonus site and I need to correct my error stated above. The Presonus StudioLive 315AI speakers do indeed have a "typical" 90x60 nominal coverage at -6dB and NOT 60 degrees horizontal as the owner told me at the time and I reported above. I did note that he seemed more up on the marketing babble that truly understanding the ramifications but I guess he couldn't even get the babble correct. Apologies -- I'll try to verify before posting next time. To be honest I sort of believed it as the coverage did seem rather more directional that I've noticed previously.

Also Al, I love my DXR12's as well but really wonder where the designers heads were when they chose that fragile finish. I used them last week to do a 5th grade talent show outside and the cabs got a bit dusty sitting on the corners of the stage not to mention smudged by many tiny/clammy fingers (I caught one kid writing his name in the dust!). The good news is they did cleanup with a damp cloth but the finger grease was clearly visible (and unremovable with just water) while wet. Once dry the smudges are not visible but sheeesh!

• Members

StratGuy -- they sounded absolutely phenomenal to my ears. Very clear and smooth throughout the frequency range, good punch, clear vocals -- kept a nice balance out through a couple hundred feet. The venue was hot-rod show in an asphalt parking lot which may have made some difference I suppose given the hard lower bounding surface and with most all folks wandering around looking at cars instead of flooding the stage soaking up sound. Likewise the stage was a trailer with one wall that hydraulically hinged outward to form an awning-like cover over the speaker stacks possibly further enhancing the projection of sound -- kind of a pseudo bandshell-like effect?

Although "rather inconvenient" it would be really interesting to A/B a similar setup (15" tops over double 18" subs) of say PRX boxes or the like just for comparison -- same band, outdoor stage, etc. I know Miko Man has just such a JBL setup available but arranging such a test would not be trivial. That's why I was hoping Al could arrange to get a pair to test -- experienced ears he has.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

I have a pair of 328AI's and 18sAI's. Using in a 5 piece Country Band and they are no doubt worth the $$. They are a bit bulky/heavy for transporting but worth it. Now because I am tired of being the sole Sound guy/Guitar Player I just purchased a set of EVOX 12's. I was skeptical giving up the Presonus for the EVOX but still have both systems. Side by Side the EVOX 12's are hands down better sounding from every aspect. Hi's, Mids and Lows are much more precise and articulit. Had other format RCF's before but the EVOX 12's are now my go to. Presonus's are up for sale. Again Presonus AI's are great but EVOX 12's are much better.

• Members
...... They are a bit bulky/heavy for transporting but worth it.

I do a single act and I'm curious about the 312AI's but at 62# ea. they would be almost twice the weight of my PRX 612's. At 67, getting them up on the poles would be an effort.

Archived