Install Job

• Members

Hey,

Ok here is the deal, today i got a call from a friend who just took over a space in nyc. The space has PV12's all around and ep2000's for power amps. They have no processing at all its straight ipod into a bs mixer. thats it. So with that said here is what he wants. The ower has ok some funs to upgrade because now its club time. 

The space  where its going to be club time is about,  20highx25depx35long give or take. it would be a little easier to go with passive speakers because there is no power up in the air. if possible would like to use amps for time being to save some money and also i would think we would need some processing. This will be a flown system nothing on the floor. maybe the subs but no sure. I have about $5000.00 to work with.

What kind of speakers, subs , processing should they go with? 

They want Club Time(DJ), they also want Open Mic Night Time, 

Any help or ideas would be great. If you need more info to answer let me know and i will try to get it.

Thanks

• Members

At the very least, go with powered subs as they will probably reside on the ground. Subs are easy to blow up, and easier still if the processing and amps don't match the speaker, and even easier if it's a DJ that doesn't care or know any better. Not saying that's the case here, but one never knows.

As well, you will be running cable to the speakers anyway, so for such a small space you could just as easily run some AC from below.  That way you could go powered, with one manufacturer.  That would give you a big advantage over a passive system that you had to process and amplify yourself.

At your price point, I would consider going all JBL, or QSC. 

• Members

"Flying is not a problem as we have plenty of qualified riggers in nyc"

Glad to hear this. 

How many of the EP2000s do you have now?  Do you have mixer, snake, mics, processing, or anything, or is this $5k for the whole shebang?

• Members

TOTALLY agree with all of the answers thus far. OTOH, the room is only 25'x35'... barely enough room for a stage and audience, but it's NYC and I've seen gear crammed into smaller holes before. (Pun intended.) 

MUCH easier to set this room up for just the "Club Time" use rather than multi-use w/ open mic or bands as well. DJ riser in corner with decent powered sub(s) underneath and the room ringed with EVID 6.2s... and maybe a couple in the center where you'd likely have lights mounted... even SPL throughout and simple to wire up. Anything more than that... hire an installer.

For Open Mic nights I'd have a powered speaker setup on stage with a small mixer that you could move into place on a smallish stage on the narrow end of the room, but again... hire an installer to design what they want if you're not up to it.

• Members

Ok here is the deal, today i got a call from a friend who just took over a space in nyc. The space has PV12's all around and ep2000's for power amps. They have no processing at all its straight ipod into a bs mixer. thats it. So with that said here is what he wants. The ower has ok some funs to upgrade because now its club time. 

The space  where its going to be club time is about,  20highx25depx35long give or take. it would be a little easier to go with passive speakers because there is no power up in the air. if possible would like to use amps for time being to save some money and also i would think we would need some processing. This will be a flown system nothing on the floor. maybe the subs but no sure. I have about $5000.00 to work with.

What kind of speakers, subs , processing should they go with? 

They want Club Time(DJ), they also want Open Mic Night Time, 

Any help or ideas would be great. If you need more info to answer let me know and i will try to get it.

Thanks

If you have to ask on a web forum what kind of speakers to install, you have absolutely zero business being on this job.

Also, he should look at quadrupling his budget (at least). $5000 isn't going to be anywhere near enough.

I really dont think we need an installer for this one

Given that you're asking the questions you're asking in the places you're asking them, you are wrong. If you're flying stuff, you are very wrong.

-Dan.

• Members

Hey,

I don't need to ask anyone anything, I was just wondering what people that have experience would use. I can make up my own mind with or without your help. 

I have been around a while and just because I am asking ?'s that you think are dumb that's your opinion and maybe some others too but opinions are like **** everyone gots one.

Thanks for your help.

• Members

The speakers you mentioned do not have qualified fly points (according to the info I have) which is specifically said what I said.

If you don't like good info. then why don't you ask your good buddies? There are other forums they might be better suited to your attitude and personality.

• Members

Aged,

I don't know if your right or wrong but accordding to the tech spec it says you can. If you have some other info can you please post.

http://www.jblpro.com/BackOffice/ProductAttachments/JBL_PRX612M%20v8.pdf

3 rd point down on the left and last paragraph on the left.  I my be reading it wrong and i have been guilty of this in the past but i think this is what it saying.

Thanks

Archived