Aux fed vocals

• Members

Do you mean with a dedicated speaker (s) for vocals?  If so that is one application for a "dual PA".  

I tried this once at an outdoor gig where we had an SRX722 on each side next to an older SR4733 on each side.  We needed both speakers to get the desired SPL but were worried about the mismatch, comb filtering, etc.  So the vocal channels went into the SRX7222's on a subgroup out and all the instruments went into the SR4733's. There were also subs (not on an aux). 

It sounded pretty good but we never did do an A/B comparison to see how they might have sounded running everything through both at the same time.  It just did not seem like a good idea so went with the "dual pa" right off.  This was a 4 band festival type deal and it was a little confusing keeping the vocals assigned to the subgroup and off the main out because the board only had 16 channels and some channels got re-assigned for different acts. Also to make it work you need two crossovers as the aux vocals can never blend with the main out.  We just used the L vs.  R channels in the DR260.  Since that processor only has 2 inputs that meant the whole system was run "mono".

I guess given the same situation I would do it again.

Supposedly another reason to try aux vocals even with matched mains is if you need the SPL of two boxes per side but need to keep a narrow coverage pattern.  By assigning vocals to one box and instruments to the other you can point both speakers in the same direction (no splay angle) and not have to worry about comb filtering.  I have not tried that so don't know how effective it might be.

• Members

Hmm... I suddenly feel stoopid - last year when I had to cover 1000 people outdoors with my poor abused little pair of RCF 310A's I should have also brought my Behringer B412DSP's and run a dual PA facepalm.gif. Maybe next time smile.gif . Seems like the way to go if you need to run two grossly mismatched pairs of mains?

Speaking of which - i just got a third 310A in and have an outdoor gig at a fairgrounds this Saturday. I'm wondering what I can do with the third one to take a little of the load off the other two? I suppose the stage is wide enough that I could use it as a center fill - I'll have my two TH-Mini's center clustered anyways. I wish the DL1608 had a mono output as I'll be running stereo for the setup/break music (DJ from the sponsoring internet station) - guess i should do it right and use an aux...

• Members

A few years ago, Dave Rat was touring a double-hung V-DOSC rig, much like how you describe. In his words, he was able to push the instrumentation further into the non-linear regions of the speaker response (ie: into distortion) without affecting the vocals. He's stopped doing that since touring the K1 system, though.

• Members

Mogwix wrote:

A few years ago, Dave Rat was touring a double-hung V-DOSC rig, much like how you describe. In his words, he was able to push the instrumentation further into the non-linear regions of the speaker response (ie: into distortion) without affecting the vocals. He's stopped doing that since touring the K1 system, though.

Or perhaps the double hung system was eating up too much rental inventory.

• Members

I just can't see any advantage and a lot of extra effort. I guess the question would be....why??? What about sub groups or VCA's?

As for the dual P.A. idea. That's a great use for the matrix. That way you can send different sub groups to different zones. I do this a lot if the center fills are hung and causing FB issues on stage I'll send less vocal (and more to the L&R) OR the reverse might be true depending on acoustics you might get better intelligibility by using a center cluster for vocals only. It depends. But aux fed vocals???

Archived