Powered subs

• Members

Hey all , i'm gonna be switching over to a powered system in a few months and i'm still deciding on the subs , while I have been looking only at the JBL prx 618s hlf and the Yorkville ls800p as options I'm really trying to go the used route but it's been really hard to find those used . Are there any other powered subs that compare to those two in that price range that I should be looking at ? It's for a country/rock band for small to mid size clubs . Thanks 

• Members

IMO - You really need to be in a larger room for the Yorkvilles to really do their thing. Unless you can place them back at least 15-20' from your intended audience you're not really putting the chest-pounding where it matters. As much as I would love to have a Yorkie... our gigs are usually in smaller venues, and when they're not we're usually on someone else's stage/PA or it's a corporate gig when we're not supposed to be too loud since people are networking in the background. Supposedly, there's a new JBL powered line about to hit the market... you might want to wait and check those out as they are supposed to be more powerful.

• Members

monthlymixcd wrote:

IMO - You really need to be in a larger room for the Yorkvilles to really do their thing. Unless you can place them back at least 15-20' from your intended audience you're not really putting the chest-pounding where it matters. As much as I would love to have a Yorkie... our gigs are usually in smaller venues, and when they're not we're usually on someone else's stage/PA or it's a corporate gig when we're not supposed to be too loud since people are networking in the background. Supposedly, there's a new JBL powered line about to hit the market... you might want to wait and check those out as they are supposed to be more powerful.

May I ask why they need that kinda space to "bump"? Thanks

• Members

djrnno wrote:

Hey all , i'm gonna be switching over to a powered system in a few months and i'm still deciding on the subs , while I have been looking only at the JBL prx 618s hlf and the Yorkville ls800p as options I'm really trying to go the used route but it's been really hard to find those used . Are there any other powered subs that compare to those two in that price range that I should be looking at ? It's for a country/rock band for small to mid size clubs . Thanks 

Just as an FYI, the JBL PRX600 series has been discountinued. As such the only ones you can buy are in the hands of dealers already and there wont be more. Therefore, if you wish to go that route, just understand that adding more of them in the future will be limited to used.

The PRX700 series is rumored to be coming soon but so far that has not been confirmed.

I would look at the QSC KW181 as comparable and in the same price range.

• Members

Koopdaddy wrote:

I would look at the QSC KW181 as comparable and in the same price range.

I'd call the QSC KW more of a direct competitor to the JBL PRX than I would the Yorkville LS series subs... they're like 1.5-2x the subs.

nchangin wrote:

May I ask why they need that kinda space to "bump"? Thanks

... all I can tell you is that many feel that the Yorkville LS series subs (esp. the 18" and 21") have a "sweet spot" about 30' out from the sub where it'll shake your bowels loose. You can hear 'em everywhere... but that's where you'll feel 'em! I observed this myself in a club install where a pair were placed under the DJ riser in the middle of a room facing a wall that was about 25' away and they were good, but not great. They moved the riser to the adjacent wall for a remodel and rotated the subs 90 degrees facing the length of the room with the center of the dance floor about the same 25' away and the difference was RiDicULouS. A totally unintended improvement, but there it was.

Archived