Ready for Mains - Suggestions?

• Members

OK I finally sold some "stuff" as George Carlin would say.

Right now I have a passive setup powered by a Nuke NU3000 for the mains. For the venues I play I don't need more power. If I do in the future I'll deal with it then.

I need to get a DSP for the sub and monitors anyway so I'm tossing it out as to whether I should go Active and get a pair of RCF ART310A MKIII, which I can purchase for $419 delivered, or stay with a pair of passive cabinets.

I would prefer a plastic ABS type cabinet because I'm not rough on gear but one reads that a lot of the "wood" cabinets dent/scratch easily. The problem is I haven't seen any passive cab's in plastic that are on par in Quality or Price with the powered ART310A.

Suggestions?

Also, if I go with passive "wood" does anyone have experience with the JBL PRX412M ??

Thanks  

• Members

OK, after reading a lot of posts by Boomer, Ranger and others all things considered I'm going to go with Powered Speakers for my mains.

I haven't seen any RCF ART310a's or any RCF spks that I can listen to locally.

Budget wise, unless I've missed some, here are my choices.

RCF ART310A MKIII

Yamaha DXR10

JBL PRX612 (if I find a really good deal)

I WILL be running these with a sub so with that in mind I'm open to opinions and Pro's 'n Con's of each of these speakers AND any others I've missed.

Thanks

• Members

The RCF ART310A MkIII are just one of those "safe to buy sight-unseen" type of products... they just sound THAT good. The looks are a little dated now, but they have a reputation for also being really reliable. Since you will definitely be running your new tops with a sub... that's my vote.

• Members

Gorquin wrote:

--snip--

RCF ART310A MKIII

Yamaha DXR10

JBL PRX612 (if I find a really good deal)

I WILL be running these with a sub so with that in mind I'm open to opinions and Pro's 'n Con's of each of these speakers AND any others I've missed.

I, like Al Poulin, have the DXR12's and think they're absolutely outstanding all around but in the interest of full disclosure I have to admint that the finish is quite fragile -- definitely get the Yamaha factory covers which fit great and work wonders.  If you're looking to aquire a matching powered sub as well -- a great way to go -- the JBL route ranks very high.  However, you can't go wrong with any of these quite frankly.

Archived