Mic stands and stage rumble

• Members

Never had issues but one time. My wife used a peavey vocal mic years ago, and if you were tapping your foot next to the mic stand, it would pic it up. Sound guy made a piece of hard foam and put underneath it, but it didnt help all that much. never had an issue with a kick mic, but I always use a internal mic, either mounted by a kelly shu or its sits on the pillow in the kick.

• Members

For the past several years I have provided the rig for a large annual regional HS showchoir festival.

The standard setup (at least in my local HS's competition circuit) is 5 mics (on circular non-tripod stands) across the front of the stage with two overhead condensor mics...

I place two computer mouse pads under the base of each mic stand....works like a charm.....way too much dancing noise otherwise.

Mike M

• Members

dboomer wrote:

You either need to shock mount the mic the stand or both ... or add a lot of mass to the stand.

Or run with aux fed subs.

This takes me back a few years, but I used to have to deal with turntable rumble (too much SPL for the turntable).  What I came up with back then was making a turntable platform that sat on an slightly inflated (to a few pounds) inner tube.  That worked "pretty good".  More recently on rumbly stages, I've used large bubble bubble wrap under a pad of foam backed outdoor carpet under round base mic stands... I contact glued the bubble wrap under the carpet pad... that also worked "pretty good". 

• Members

Tomm, is the kick mic on a tripod stand, or a cast base stand? As Don suggests, you can either provide isolation from vibration (stage rumble) or you can damp the vibrations. On a tripod stand, a round barbell weight centered on the legs may provide enough mass to damp the vibrations. On a cast base stand, isolation from the floor might be easier. Dense but resilient foam (think of a computer mouse pad or foam "wrist rest") would provide isolation but be firm enough to support the stand and mic. If neither solution works well enough, you can always try both together. Best wishes. Mark C.

• Members

Even though my primary concern is the kick, I think all of us experience this to same degree in vocals too. In regards to the kick, I use beta 52, EV re20, EV 868 and a Heil PR40 with a weighted stand. A large majority of the time, rumble is not an issue. On

the other events with flimsy stages it is ,thus my use of gates. However I try to avoid processing if I can actually fix the issue by other means.

• Members

Tomm Williams wrote:

I use hpf's generously, just looking for ideas for very flimsy stages where a filter isn't enough.

Yeah, missed that in your original quote.  Two other options I didn't see mentioned:  There no substitute for mass.  Go outside and find a couple heavy pavers or cinder blocks and set them under the stand.  This can change the resonate frequency of the rumble and may make it more managable or less likely to transfer to the mic and/or stand.  If need be, put them on other resonate areas of the stage.  Not pretty but they can be effective.   Wrap them in wrapping paper and call it a prop!

Another option would be a parametric eq that would allow you to dial out the offending frequency as tightly as needed.

Archived