• Members

Well, today I was trying to get my old Onan 450w running.  It hadn't been started in two years, I dumped out the old gas, put in new, and it started the second pull smile.gif. But not putting out enough volts according to the LED's on the panel frown.gif. Took the covers off and found that it runs at the same low RPM no matter the throttle position freak.gif. Could it be the air filter foam is stuck in the intake manifold? It rotted and half of it is missing frown.gif.

Anyways my backup for today's gig is my 12 feet of cable ramps and a 100' cord. Just running a 60w acoustic guitar/mic amp anyways - plus a fan. Heat index of 98 today frown.gif.

OTOH UPS dropped me off a refurb EU2000i clone. Champion brand $350 shipped biggrin.gif:

http://www.championpowerequipment.com/pdf/manuals/73538i/73538i_manual-english.pdf

Bloody EPA carb required 10 minutes to warm up enough to shut the choke off mad.gif. Kinda weird, it seemed to warm up "suddenly" - one second it was fine on half choke and the next it was - well - choking freak.gif . Did the same thing again an hour later at the gig. Did I mention it was over 90 outside freak.gif? Is this what a "real" EU2000i does? Anyways sounds like jet drilling time to me biggrin.gif.

Once warm if worked fine even in "economy" mode with no "dummy" load. Just an acoustic farmer's market gig 0.8 miles from me - seemed sad they didn't have any live music so I organized them some smile.gif.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We bought a new leaf blower from costco last year. Same issue with having no power for a few minutes while it "warms up" I think it has to do with the carbs being setup like you said "econonly mode" to help the enviroment and crap but it makes them run like crap.

• Members

The guy down at my local Honda dealer for lawn mowers, small outboards and gennies has been recommending filling up gas cans with Premium gas for 4-cycle engines. He claims the local gas supply is going to hell with additives and lower octane ratings.

The guy in the next town who does repairs on my Husq 2-cycle weed whacker and chain saw goes one better... he gets Avgas (100LL aviation-grade) from tjhe local small GA airport, and sells it in 5 gal. plastic cans that you return for a filled can. That stuff works real well, in any small gennie or yard machine I've used it in.

Won't last long though, because the FAA is in the process of eliminating all leaded fuels for aviation. Say goodbye to all the cool old light planes and radial-engines, say hello to all light planes running on turboprops and JetA (kerosene). When that happens, maybe there will be a market for portable yard tools and gennies that run on mini turbines with Jet-A. Whoooosh! That would be cool. :)

• Members

Funny... I just read "The Dog Stars" by Peter Heller... near-future post-apocalyptic fiction... interesting sidebars in that on Cessna 182s, Avgas and additives... learned more than I'll ever need to know (hopefully - but Imma start stocking up on guns, ammo, and Dr. Pepper.)

• Members

Reson8tor wrote:

The guy in the next town who does repairs on my Husq 2-cycle weed whacker and chain saw goes one better... he gets Avgas (100LL aviation-grade) from tjhe local small GA airport, and sells it in 5 gal. plastic cans that you return for a filled can. That stuff works
real
well, in any small gennie or yard machine I've used it in.

Won't last long though, because the FAA is in the process of eliminating all leaded fuels for aviation. Say goodbye to all the cool old light planes and radial-engines,

Most small Cessna's can be legally "converted" to run on unleaded pump gas. Hot rods used to pull up to the avgas pump at the airport I used to fly at wink.gif - Those are the guys that are gonna be screwed.

I don't like loading a genny with it's choke on - a 10-15 minute warmup time in 90+ degree weather is ridiculous facepalm.gif. Fortunately I have a set of sub #60 drill bits just for this purpose wink.gif. The refurb genny only has a 30 day warranty anyways...

• Members

a small generator has been on my wish list for a long time. we had a serious storm front roll through Ontario and Quebec. power was out for about 15 hours. it got super hot in my apartment and last night was hell.

temps are down today and power is back up. wonder how Bobby1Note is doing?

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

New headline... Cheap genny takes out expensive pa. News at 11.

Any genny (inverter or otherwise) is more likely to go nuts and fry your PA than commercial power. You just have to decide if it's worth the risk. What does a big diesel genny do if the engine "runs away"? I'm guessing the modern ones are electronic injection and not manual and unlikely to overspeed - those old engines the Cat guy told us to throw a coat over the intake if it "took off" to attempt to save it freak.gif. One place I worked we had a 24 cylinder 500 HP genny as the town couldn't supply enough power for the plant's peak loads freak.gif. We also had a few smaller stationary engines running big pumps - one was a surplus WWII PT boat motor, they ran six 200 HP engines on three screws freak.gif.

• Members

RoadRanger wrote:
Anyways sounds like jet drilling time to me 
biggrin.gif

Likely "small enough" drills are the subject of fairly rarefied air.  Likely the idle jet could use a little honing as well as some re-working of the primary jetting system.  I suspect the WOT fuel mixture system is already slightly rich (as I'm of the understanding that WOT generally isn't subject to seemingly nonsequitur emission standards).

I do have some stories on this stuff.  The most relevant (I suspect) concerns my wife's 2004 883 Sportster.

• Members

Audiopile wrote:

I do have some stories on this stuff.  The most relevant (I suspect) concerns my wife's 2004 883 Sportster.

My 1200 only has a Squawking Beagle exhaust and air filter, and a couple new jets - it now eats back tires just fine even with an extra tooth on the front sprocket biggrin.gif. I also have an autobahn rear sprocket for it I haven't put on yet...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived