Application specific monitors

• Members

Had a thought bouncing around in my head about application specific wedges. Clearly there are times where a venue/event calls for a certain speaker design to optimize the situation. Long throw, high SPL, arrayable, etc... I'm wondering if some of this couldn't also apply to wedges. Certainly we all use, or know of drum fills and how they are considerably different than "standard" wedges, and that type of wedge frequently gets used on bass or keys. The situation I'm pondering is when you have an event where there is a prominent vocalist. Would there be any benefit to using a wedge that by design (whatever that design may be) is more conducive to reproducing the vocal range only. Not concerned about putting guitars or whatever else through it, just vocals. I'm thinking along the lines of  8"-10" mid range drivers. Curious if given the current plethora of really good wedges if something of a narrower usage has a place. Or as Andy says : An answer looking for a problem.

And another thought: When using pairs of wedges on one performer, would it be beneficial if they were Left-Right boxes with the horns on opposite ends? Seems that the horns should be center-most to the performer but I've not seen this discussed before.

• Members

For a vocal only monitor its pretty easy to cut aprox 90hz or so out and , other than feedback frequencies , have the vocal range stand out is pretty much straight forward. As far as horn driver stereo image it depends on the pick up pattern as far as the horn placement. I use hypercardioid microphones in general for vocals and put the horns in the null spots L/R. A cardioid microphone has its greatest rejection straight in front so a single monitor may be best for those types of microphones.

Dookietwo

• Members

There are boxes for drum fill, side fill, dance fill that might be different than wedges, and then there are a wide variety of wedges avaiolable to suit specific tastes.

One place where I see a specific need is a low profile wedge to avoid sight line problems for seated shows with stages 3-4' high (mostly what I do).

Archived