Help picking PA system for occasional acoustic "house concerts"

• Members

Hi Folks

Non-musician here; found you folks via the magic google.  

My wife and I have hosted a few house concerts and they have been quite enjoyable.  We previously had a source for borrowing a PA system:  a Fender Passport 300.  That source has dried up and are looking at renting or, since we plan on continuing this occasional venture, just buying a used one, if the price is right.  

Our "venue" is our middle-class living room.  We can fit up to 40, but 30-35 is best.  The fender seemed to work fine, but I don't have an ear to make that final determination. The artists didn't seem to mind.

Music will generally be acoustic-folk style, but who knows.  We've only done this 4x so far. We've hosted Karen Joy Brown a couple of times (local act) as well as Danny Schmidt and Carrie Elkin (2x) and Catie Curtis / Jenna Lindbo.  The Catie one went well enough that her promoter is now contacting us to host other acts.  100% of proceeds go to the artists, $20/head, etc. Small-time stuff, but in case anybody knows those folks, I thought it was worth mentioning...

Anyway, from my forum searchign it seems the Fender Passport is a POS.  I couldn't find any recommendations for something that would fit our situation.  Also, reading through your PA basics thread is like Chinese to me, so apologies if I'm shortcutting.

Would anybody care to comment or lend us their opinion / recommendation?  Sub $400 would be nice, but, perhaps, that's not possible...

thanks

matt

• Members

Single QSC K8, set to "Bass Boost" mode.   ~$600;     (K8 is very flexible with inputs... has Stereo RCA, Instrument and Mic jacks)

OR

Single RCF ART310a, set to "Boost" mode.  ~$425 @ kpodj.com  (sign up for VIP pricing).

(caveat, Depending on what you're using to play music (ipod?)  you will need to use a single "instrument" cable or xlr "mic" cable.)

A single one of either of these speakers would be brilliant for a living room with 40 people in it.

• Members

Matt,

Welcome to the forum!

I'd say either of those speaker recommendations are fine, but would advise you to get a small format mixer just so you can accomodate more inputs if needed. The little Zed10FX mixer is nice... as are the small Soundcraft boards. Just get something with 4 or more inputs that has a decent reverb effect and you're in business. Don't forget the mics... they are just as or more important than your choice of mixer or speaker. An acoustic guitar DI would be another useful thing to have on hand. Everything mentioned is available used in most areas... but consider doubling your budget. (Even a new Fender Passport w/ mics and stands will run you nearly that.) Where are you located?

• Members

I've never met a Fender Passport system I have liked. They are not fun to work though - although yes they generally function, but hoo boy, no fun city.

In additon, if you're going to get something, make sure it has reverb. Thee are a some entertainers that can't live without reverb.

I'm not a huge fan of the Passport systems, only because they have a certain mid response that I don't like - but bear in mind, no one else I know complains about their mids. They are certainly a cut above the rest of the products in their syle and price range - IMHO.

I would recommend you get something like an Allen & Heath Zed 10FX and two 10" or even 12" (in case you had keyboards) powered speakers, by manufacturers like QSC, EV, Yamaha, RCF. Whatever you do, think about warranty and where you can go for repairs or returns.

If you were in Canada, I would recommend you pick up one of the many used powered heads and passive speakers by Yorkville. Like these Elite 12" http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/msg/3966808969.html     and this MP8  http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/msg/3992374617.html

That mixer is overpriced and maybe not quite good enough, but the speakers are a good deal, and something like that woulld sound better than everything mentioned thus far.

Renting is probably agood option for now - good luck.

• Members

If your entertainment is typically one guitar playing singer, I agree with RoadRanger in getting an acoustic combo amp! If you decide to upgrade to a PA later, you'll always have the combo amp as a good backup or extra player expansion. Personally, I think one Yamaha DXR powered PA speaker would do well for rooms up to small bar size. They have instrument and mic inputs.

Archived