yorkville pr418

• Members

Any body know anything about these speakers... They kinda fell into our laps...they are Yorkville PR418.... I read somewhere that the Frequency response was 40Hz-19Khz...so do I need a sub if I use these? Probably gonna power these with a QSC 2450. @ 4ohms that'll give em up to 750 watts, the Program ratting is between 500 and 600 watts.

• Members

I would expect them to behave similar to very good, high end audio playback system. They will "sound" good but probably not throw as far nor be as efficient in the upper range. IF you do not play loud and are in smaller venues, they should be fine. The small horn config isn't designed for long throw, nor is the 126 db efficiency impressive. Again, NOT designed for live music application.

• Members

The Pulse speakers were Yorkville's working man's line. Sturdy, able to take abuse, all that nonsense. Anyway some of the Pulse cabs sounded pretty good for the dollars. That particular "blue" line didn't throw very far. I had at various points two Pulse 10's, two Pulse 12's, two Pulse PM10's, two Pulse 8's, and a Pulse sub for good measure but I no longer own any Pulse stuff.

Those cabs might do fine, just depends how you want to use them.

AFAIK they came out in the late nineties. Here's a page from an old Pulse catalogue.

EDIT - wow that pic is big oh well....

PulsePr418.jpg' alt='>'>

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Hey there, My first time coming to this site. I have been looking for reviews and other info for a while on the yorkville gear that i own. I have 4 of the yorkville pulse 418's. I have for quite some time. I am not very educated when it comes to sound yet, but I am trying to learn up so I can use this stuff without wrecking it.

I have used the speakers mostly with the DJM806 powered mixer from yorkville (400 watts @ 4 ohms per channel) and they have sounded pretty good, but there has been times when a little more power (volume)would have been nice. I power the other set with a Yorkville AP2020 Amp (600 watts @ 4 ohms Per channel)

I recently asked a local sound guy some questions and he said that i was underpowering those speakers and should get some more powerful amps, so i just bought 1 x QSC 2450 (750 watts per side)  Yet to hook up and try.

I just looked at the thread above and saw that 400 watts a side was plenty, should I return that amp ?

Also I am wondering if anyone has ever seen the Dual 18 powered box that yorkville made in this series I have seen it nowhere (reviews etc,)... especially not for sale.

THANKS A BUNCH!

• Members

[quote name='badhabit] would expect them to behave similar to very good' date=' high end audio playback system. They will "sound" good but probably not throw as far nor be as efficient in the upper range. IF you do not play loud and are in smaller venues, they should be fine. The small horn config isn't designed for long throw, nor is the 126 db efficiency impressive. Again, NOT designed for live music application.[/quote']

"Long throw" does not exist. Check out the inverse square law. You bascially lose 6dB every time you double the distance from the original measurement point, more or less. That's the same for any speaker. If you need it to "throw" longer, you need it to start louder. Efficiency is not the same thing as Max SPL. 'Efficiency' of the whole box can be determined with Sensitivity. Where you measure dB @1Watt/1m - this box comes up with 98 dB. Max SPL is probably also measured in the same spot. Not to be too nit picky here, but just wanted to clear this up.

I do agree though on total volume. 126 dB at 1m is not enough for say, a rock band or even loud dance music. Especially if there is going to be a lot of people in a fairly big room.

• Members

I think the term long throw that's being used here is referring to the horn pattern being fairly broad resulting in more energy being dispersed off axis up close leaving less spl density available farther away on axis.

Less technically correct, but reasonably descriptive.

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

I think the term long throw that's being used here is referring to the horn pattern being fairly broad resulting in more energy being dispersed off axis up close leaving less spl density available farther away on axis.

Less technically correct, but reasonably descriptive.

That was certainly my meaning when I was discussing those cabs. 

And back to powering those cabs.  Although I have on a few rare occasions powered that Pulse line with much more power than I should have, it came out okay because I tried to stay within bounds, BUT see the next sentence. I did have one, maybe two oops where I, or someone else blew the internal horn protector bulb on a "blue line" Pulse cabinet.  So unfortunately, even though the speaker might be able to take some abuse, the bulbs will blow if you give them too much high end.  AFAIK there's no bi-amping those boxes either.

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

That's 126dB at 1m, work out the numbers at say 10 or 20m and it looks more tame.

15 meters out is about as far as a 100 foot snake is gonna get you when run around the edge of the room. Two 126 db speakers give you 105 db at FOH - plenty to get you to 95 db on the sound meter which IME is the level at which you think about putting in the earplugs freak.gif.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Just looking to get some help as how to hook up my system properly. I have 6 yorkville pulse 418 full range cabinets (600 watts at 4ohms). I have the Yorkville djm806 powered mixer. Now I am trying to hook up 3 amps in order to power these speakers. 1 yorkville ap2020 and 2 qsc 2450.

Can i just run an output into the 2020 and then plug a 1/4 to xlr cable from that into the next then into the next? Or do i need to split my output before it reaches the amps? which modes should i apply on the amplifiers, stereo? set limits at 50hz any others?  Never done multiple amp connections before and dont want to fry anything!!  Thanks for your patience

• Members

SoundC wrote:

Just looking to get some help as how to hook up my system properly. I have 6 yorkville pulse 418 full range cabinets (600 watts at 4ohms). I have the Yorkville djm806 powered mixer. Now I am trying to hook up 3 amps in order to power these speakers. 1 yorkville ap2020 and 2 qsc 2450.

Can i just run an output into the 2020 and then plug a 1/4 to xlr cable from that into the next then into the next? Or do i need to split my output before it reaches the amps? which modes should i apply on the amplifiers, stereo? set limits at 50hz any others?  Never done multiple amp connections before and dont want to fry anything!!  Thanks for your patience

Why are you powering three sets of speakers - is this a club install?

As probably mentioned earlier the 600 watts is program or 300 continuous.

Since you're not going to get a perfect power output match between the amps anyway,, you might be able to use just the mixer and either the AP2020 or the QSC 2450. According to published specs, the mixer will give you 400 watts or roughly 1.5 x rms. with one speaker a side. With two speakers a side, the AP2020 (at 2 ohms) will give you 300 watts or roughly 1 x's 1 rms. The QSC will give you (at 2 ohms) 1200 watts a side or 600 watts per speaker which is roughly 2 x's rms. So that's three sets of speakers, a powered mixer and one amp.

But that scenario assumes that 2 ohms is not a practical bother for either amp. I don't have personal experience running at 2 ohms with the QSC's.

OR... maybe you've got the amps so you want to use them :)

• Members

It's for a large portable dj setup. I have used the powered mixer and ap2020 to power this before but have two more amps. The qsc 2450. I want to send the stereo signal to all three amps. Not combine the power of each. That way I don't have to find three separate outputs on my mixer making volume levelling difficult

I guess I want to be sure of how to carry the unpowered stereo signal from one amp to another eliminating another line from my mixer.

Thanks for any help available !

• 3 years later...

Archived