New active speaker choice advice

• Members

Hi all,

Newbie from the UK here..... Please be gentle.

I am a solo singer (sometimes duo) and am currently looking to upgrade my active speakers. As I was buying on a particular budget when I decided to go active 18 months ago, I ended up buying a pair of Wharfedale Titan 12Ds plus a single Titan 15A sub. Now I know the Titans aren't to everyones liking and yes, the HF unit is kinda harsh when pushed but with some sympathetic eq, I am basically happy with the sound i get. I play in venues from pubs with 30-50 people up to clubs with 150+. The truth is that the sub has only ever been run twice in anger as I find i simply dont need it and lets face it, the Titan 12Ds are freaky loud when they need to be. Therefore the sub is sitting there unused. I used to take an electro acoustic guitar out with me but it got damaged one night so I decided it was one hassle I didn't really need so I now just use vocals over PC based backing tracks. So, the choice I have narrowed it down to is either Yamaha DXR12s or RCF Art 312 MK3s. I know the Yamaha's are probably over-powered for what I need but at least I would have plenty of headroom left should I ever need it. It is really more about the balance of sound on these two cabs rather than raw power. Even the RCFs are 400w RMS. Does anyone have any experience of these 2 cabs with regards to vocals. With the Titan 12Ds being 350w RMS, the Yamaha and RFC units should be at least as loud if not louder.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated before I commit the cash. Just for reference, the RCFs are around

• Members

Welcome to the forum!

Either of your candidates will be considerably louder than the Wharfdales in the real world... if not on paper. Between the Yamahas and the RCFs... it's a closer call, but I'd say that the RCFs have the sweeter sounding HF driver and especially if you're going to keep the Titan sub for those times when you need the LF reinforcement... I'd go RCF and maybe even consider the 310 instead of the 312.

• Members

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, after the initial wet dream over the Yamaha's, the RCFs just seemd to be amazing value for money considering the pedigree. I will probably be ditching the Titan sub as the venues I generally play don't require it. When we go out as a duo, we use a totally different rig with twin subs and tops. On the Art 312s & 315s am I right in thinking they both use the same cabinet dimensions? If so, does it perform better with the 15" or the 12"

Thanks..................Mark

Archived