Standard noise with powered speaker?

• Members

I did a wedding ceremony outside last weekend and had to use a generator. It was a Honda, but I have no idea the model. It was brand new though.

Everything was working find but I had noise. It wasn't too bad, couldn't be heard over the music. But if you were in front and the music off, it was there pretty good.

Is this common with generators? And should powered speakers be completely silent when live?

These are qsc k12s

• Members

Sick boy78 wrote:

I did a wedding ceremony outside last weekend and had to use a generator. It was a Honda, but I have no idea the model. It was brand new though.

Everything was working find but I had noise. It wasn't too bad, couldn't be heard over the music. But if you were in front and the music off, it was there pretty good.

Is this common with generators? And should powered speakers be completely silent when live?

These are qsc k12s

Depends entirely on the generator as well as the grounding and bonding protocol followed. Also, you should never share between genny power and shore power within a system, large circulating currents in the grounds can occur unless strict grounding/bonding of derived sources to the shore power is followed and tested. Not something that should be done without engineering supervision.

• Members

As to the question of whether a self-powered speaker is "completely silent" when no signal is present, my experience is "it depends". On my JBL PRX 600 series speakers, if the level dial is all the way clockwise, I can hear the "white noise" of the power if I'm right next to the speaker. At some point as I turn the level down, I no longer hear that same "white noise" and the speaker is completely silent. FWIW, I experience the same effect with non-self-powered speakers too; crank up the levels, and you hear some noise. Mark C.

Archived