Distance of FOH to stage?

• Members

Obviously most of you folks are limited by the length of your snake but question is how far is too far? In the past I've found a 100' snake limited you to about 60' on a good day. Outdoors as of late Tuesday I was about 75' out half way back in the audience but a month ago for a while I was 90' back well behind the audience as that's where the shade was - I suppose I should have set up the canopy but my original thought there was I didn't want to be tied down to one spot.

• Members

i have a 150' snake and a 100' snake. i usually use the 150' one and am out anywhere from 60' to 100' depending. i find i mix a lot louder at 100' than at 60' which may not be appropriate for the audience every time. my favorite place to be is behind the audience center but this summer i have been noticing (and you too if you look at my pics) that they have been largely sitting behind me. i dont know if this is due to increased clarity at distance of the HDH rig (this thing throws clear vocals 500' no joke), increased overall volume, or that most of my outdoor venues this summer have had the bulk of natural seating starting at around 100' from the front of the stage.

its going to be a lot different situation with full blown line sources.

• Members

I have two snakes. The analog snake is 150' which lets me get out about 100-125 feet if all goes well. My preference is to be off center towards a side, about 2/3 the depth of the crowd from stage. I also carry a 300' digital snake I use when I need to be father out, or when I have to run around a lot of obstacles to get where I want to be.

• Members

It's also possible that people sit down behind the engineer because it's too loud in front of them. Kudos to those who have adapted to lowering the close in volume and still covering well behind them. (Not easy, but with the right equipment it can be done.) That's one of the issues that my equipment doesn't address and I'm getting too old to change. (I don't really like things really loud anyway.) So leave me the small outdoor gigs and please take the big stuff.

• Members

Coaster wrote:

i find i mix a lot louder at 100' than at 60' which may not be appropriate for the audience every time.

Good point, when I was at 90 feet the audience bleachers were at about 50 and WAY louder there. In that case it was hard rock and I only had my "hatchback" system but wanted to see what it would do full up biggrin.gif.

I hear yah about vocal clarity out to 500, outside away from buildings you don't get a lot of indirect reflections muddying things up. Last Summer folks said my RCF 310A's sounded clear out at 1/2 mile eek.gif.

• Members

I do one main outside gig, on our local Showmobile. I'm off to the one side. Probably 60' from the stage. It's pretty close but the way the area is set up that's how it is.

I set up my mixer etc and mix with my iPad. If it rains I can mix from the trailer. Not perfect but it works.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z398/robare99/B7FC14D6-8A15-48E5-9CF8-ED3591F07CB4-16222-00000AF3BD90F9A0.jpg

My band :)

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z398/robare99/2AE0019B-475A-4406-96D6-18F4B9BF7C9E-19907-00000CB5F8E3BEB0.jpg

Mission control:

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z398/robare99/9aa058e1.jpg

Archived