How much would you pay / expect to be paid... ?

• Members

So this is going to be a fairly loaded question...

What would you expect to be paid -- Or what would you pay someone whose responsibilities are:

• Pickup band equipment truck at parking facility, drive it to gig.
  • Load-In, Assist with Setup of PA & Lighting with another production assistant.
  • Run Sound / Lighting, provided by the band.
  • Meal (Dinner) comp'ed.
  • Load-Out with another production assistant.
  • Drop truck back off at parking facility.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, I'm in your area and I get $100 to show up at a club with an installed system and mix for a couple hours on a Friday. I don't get any food/drink comps, but I show up in sandals and don't have to carry anything heavier than a mic stand. The band starts loading in around 7:30-8:00, downbeat is around 9:30, and there's a strict curfew at 12:30. I'm paid and in my car by 1:00.

Given the extra time and labor involved in your situation, as well as the responsibility of driving a vehicle for a business, I'd say $200 is fair.

Speaking of which, I may be looking for more work come next spring...

-Dan.

• Members

Being more specific....

The driving the truck component might end up being the responsibility of our other production assistant currently working for us.... but Load-In / Setup / Run Sound / Load-Out is a definite job responsibility.

Since they're almost all private events,  collared shirt + slacks would be required during the actual "reception" time.  but Casual for loading times is completely cool.

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

I'd say an even share. He's not at practice etc but doing a lot of work on gig day.

As a sound guy, I never, ever want my pay to be a "share" of what the band takes. I want my fee, period. If the band takes a low paying exposure gig, I want my fee. If they get a $20k wedding gig, I want my fee. 

If I'm doing such a good job that I'm helping the band get better-paying gigs, I'll negotiate that separately. But I'm not part of the band and I don't want to be seen as such.

-Dan.

• Members

In my particular situation where the band shares ownership of the PA, I don't have to go to rehearsals (as StratGuy mentioned), I don't have to mess with bookings or balance the band account checkbook, and I don't have to drive the band truck to and from the gig... I basically only have to help setup and strike the PA (usually with at least 3 other people pitching in), run it during the gig... and maybe pull some break music together beforehand or pitch in as MC occasionally.

I'm happy with being thought of as a member of the band (it's a good band) but it's also a 12-piece... so the pie gets cut up 13 ways at the end of every night. Sometimes that means my cut is only $70 for a 2hr. bar gig... sometimes $300+ for a 4hr. wedding or corporate gig.

• Members

We pay $250+meal+gas+room (if overnight is required) for a sound guy to help load in, use our gear, help load out, and help deal with whatever other BS might be involved---manning the soundboard during speeches, toasts, etc.

Some bring their own mixers. That's their choice. We don't pay extra if they do.

• Members

guido61 wrote:

Oops, considering I live in the same area as AH, it looks like we've been overpaying!
;)

The numbers I suggested reflect the good working conditions as well as the number of shows, both of which discount back what an average one-off would justify.

• Members

I suppose it would probably be in poor form to ask whether such a worker is paid as an employee (with tax withholdings and employer contibutions, etc, and a W-2 issued), as an "independent contractor" (no withholdings, but a 1099 issued), or paid informally in cash (no records, no reporting)?

The reason I ask is the fact that this individual will be driving the band's truck, loaded with band equipment. If there is a crash, how does that work out with insurance and such? Liability coverage if another vehicle is involved, and somebody else gets hurt? What if your guy(s) get hurt? The gear is destroyed in the roll-over?

I'm sorry if I'm being a wet blanket, but hiring somebody can be a can of worms. I'm interesred in knowing how other folks do things. I recognize the despite screen names, folks might not want to publically discuss this. (And no, I don't work for the IRS.) Anybody want to weigh in? Mark C.

• Members

It depends......

Viewing your band's website I assume that your group performs at high-end venues plus clubs.  My main performing is as a member of a classical ensemble that performs in RI/SE MA (and mostly Newport) on a weekly basis (Rosecliffe, Belle Mer, Castle Hill, Oceancliff, Viking, etc.) for indoor/outdoor ceremony / 'tails.  Over the past 18 years we've played them all (some of them almost a hundred times) as we are on several of the venue's preferred vendor lists. 

I am a performing classical musician first and foremost but I also provide sound systems for live performances.  I sound gig thoughout the year as a local sound provider (with/without gear) as my performance schedule allows at outdoor festivals and indoor performances.  I've sound gigged (tech'd and provided gear) for speaking events, live bands, multi-band festivals, up to local town 4th of July fireworks events (several thousand in attendance) for several years.

My thoughts:

Tech'ing "clean gigs ie; high-end corporate, weddings, and such" at high end venues requires that every aspect of a group's performance (arrival, setup, performance, and breakdown) is top notch (professional appearance, personable, and proper....[how you treat the onsight staff/caterer/help....yes, it is important]...on up).  From the moment that your vehicle arrives on site until it leaves, you are on.

Tech'ing a club gig I get $150.00 as a walk on (using a band's own rig with help at load in/out) within my general area (gear truck/trailor is already on-site).  My above rate reflects local club gig hours in SE Mass and RI.  Basically, if my schedule is open, I will fill an evening with a walk on if it comes along.

If I provide the rig (gear), the fee is higher...and I have to weigh if the gig is even worth doing.

Now, teching a gig in (as an example) the ballroom (top floor) of the Biltmore Hotel in Providence, RI....(I am sure that your group has performed there).

(a rather high end venue in the area, no place to park, band gear can only use the s-l-o-w service elevator through the kitchen.....no room to manouver the gear....argh...) I would charge twice+ my club walk-on fee using the band's gear without transporting it (driving the gear) + dinner.  Thus $300.00 to set up, tech, strike, and load out (with help). 

All of the above said....it depends......

".....with another production assistant." means to me that your band already has a "roadie" or someone else in the band to help load in / out.

You seem to me looking for a person to do the "beef work" plus have the skills to tech the performance.  Club work is club work.  IMO bands do not make any real money in clubs but they do earn a very fair share in the wedding / corporate scene. 

*After setup, the tech should clean up and dress appropriately (casual to suit / tux) depending on the venue as he/she is part of your show being in the room as you perform.  He / she should be as personable, professional, well-spoken, and reflect your band's image to the client and venue's staff.

You know the importance of getting on a wedding venue's "preferred vendor list"....almost priceless.  An example: Your band sounds great, has a terrific track record, is well respected in the area, your wedding/corporate rig is "corporate clean" (no dented grills, etc,) but maybe your sound tech is a little "rough"... You get what you pay for. 

I recently spoke to one of the function coordinators at a recent gig at a Newport venue.  She told me that the staff meets every Monday to review the past weekends events and they rate the vendors...

All of the above said, as far as gigs go, club rate is club rate but wedding/corp rates should be reflective of the gig.  I don't think that a tech should get as much as the talent but it may be best for your business (you know this) to not lowball someone that can break your band's image.  The members of your band probably do not have to go to the parking facility before and after every gig....which adds even more time to a tech's day.

Like I said, it depends.....

Mike M  

• Members

@Mike M... brilliant post.     And yes, we've performed at all the placed you've listed.   Funny enough, it's gotten to the point now where clients actually ask US about venues and to compare them. We give them honest/truthful behind the scenes about the places and the experiences with them.  Some venues treat you well,  some venues act like your 3rd class citizens and are not very well coordinated behind the scenes.... know what I mean?? That said, there have been a handful of clients that have actually changed or moved forward with their venue based on advice we've given.    

We've been blessed to 'partner' up and develop relationships with some of the really great venues (Belle Mer, Regatta Place,  State Room, Atlantic Beach Club, (and a handful of others in Boston, Cape Cod and in Newport RI) and have a seamless workflow designed with them.... really makes a smooth transition between dinner service and into our dance sets.

Anyhow,  I totally get your point...  and I couldn't have asked for a better response and pretty much put to words what I already 'knew' in my head.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

$500.

Wow, really?

I would actually maybe consider doing it for that! lol Not that any of the local bands in my area could pay that as most of them don't even get that much for the entire band. I honestly thought the going rate for gear like mine would be between $150.00 and $250.00.

• Members

True enough. I get $300 to $350 for sound only, Bar rate. Lights: $200 - $350 depending on the bar. So it's $500 - $600 for lights & sound in the bar. Travel to the next town an hour each way is an additional $100.

Bar bands, $350 for sound, 350 for lights, $600 for both.

$800 flat rate for lights & sound for indoor gigs that aren't bar gigs. $1200 for outdoor sound only gigs.

The bars keep me pretty busy. Long term customers, I have my own keys to each one, and can set up at my leisure. I'd rather load in at noon, get it all set up and then chill at home until sound check at 8pm.

It's usually the $300 - $350 for sound only. I'm trying to get my light rig out more, but I'm not going to do it for free. There's a couple sound guys in the towns on either side of mine. I'm not really looking to muscle into their sound gigs, but I am looking to work with them and add lights to their setup.

The legions bring in bands a little higher than the bar level, so doing lights would REALLY add to their shows. I've made contacts so its just a matter of seeing how it all plays out.

The lights look pretty sweet :)

I give our legion a deal, the bar rate so $300 for things like comedians, $500 for lights & sound. I can't use the spot duos on top of my light rig due to low ceiling height on stage. And I know the legion doesn't have pisspots full of money.

A comedian would be SOS, wireless mic and a light on each SOS for $300. Pretty light setup really. Remote mixed. Since its a legit side company for me, receipts are provided. Income is claimed etc etc.

Archived