Mackie DL1608 giving me GAS

• Members

It's been a long time since anything has really got me wanting it this much. (1989 - Pacific Coast motorcycle comes to mind. I'm on my second one and have logged about 105,000 miles on them.) But this mixer, besides lightening my mixing stack but about 20 pounds, deals with and cures some issues I've got because I also do sound jobs on the side. (Throwing all my analog settings off from the band's needs. I don't have a problem with that, but I'm all for making my life easier.) 16 channels covers 99% of my needs. Things I can sell include my MixWiz, Compressor/Gate/Limiter/Expander and my 100' 16 channel 4 return snake and the box I keep it in. That won't cover the costs of the mixer, Ipad and Wifi router, but it might soften the move. I've still got a recording mixer in my Alesis Multimix 16 for a spare or additional channels. Anybody out there find me a good reason not to spend this money? (I know it's not much in this world, but it's a fair amount of change in my pocket.)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey, I have a PC800 in the garage too biggrin.gif ! And I be luvin' my DL1608 even if it ain't quite "finished" yet tongue.gif. They just had a firmware/app update on Monday to support the Lightning connector version and upgrade kit shipping soon and are promising a major V2.0 ungrade soon as well. They shows a screen capture of stereo linked inputs on their FB page so we know that will be in there. I still don't know when they'll get around to my #1 (master fx mute like on a MixWiz) but I'll be keeping their feet to the fire for sure poke.gif.

• Members

"If you got a lil change in your pocket going jang a lang a lang...."

All the reading I have seen everyone is quite happy with those 1608's if your looking for approval, if it were me in your shoes that's the one I would lean to out of all the digital mixer varieties right now.

• Members

WynnD wrote:

It's been a long time since anything has really got me wanting it this much. (1989 - Pacific Coast motorcycle comes to mind. I'm on my second one and have logged about 105,000 miles on them.) But this mixer, besides lightening my mixing stack but about 20 pounds, deals with and cures some issues I've got because I also do sound jobs on the side. (Throwing all my analog settings off from the band's needs. I don't have a problem with that, but I'm all for making my life easier.) 16 channels covers 99% of my needs. Things I can sell include my MixWiz, Compressor/Gate/Limiter/Expander and my 100' 16 channel 4 return snake and the box I keep it in. That won't cover the costs of the mixer, Ipad and Wifi router, but it might soften the move. I've still got a recording mixer in my Alesis Multimix 16 for a spare or additional channels. Anybody out there find me a good reason not to spend this money? (I know it's not much in this world, but it's a fair amount of change in my pocket.)

Nope!  Can't argue with that logic ;)

You may also want to consider the X32 Rack which should be in stores within a month or two.  On the plus side you get multi-track recording, DCA's, subgroups, MIDI scene recall, much more flexible sends, more sends, and recallable gains.  On the negative side, it costs $500.00 more .... and has a Behringer label on it if that bothers you ;) (I believe this is what I am going to go with myself).

If you need it today, there is nothing on the market (that I am aware of) that has the small form factor, high functionality, and low price of the DL1608.

• Members

You need an iPad and Router (or laptop) for the X32 Rack same as the DL1608. In addition to what was listed it has recallable headamps, mounts in a regular rack case, and has 7 extra "ins" smile.gif. Things I hate about it: I'd rather it was 2U and had all the I/O on the front. I have no use for the front panel stuff so would prefer not to pay for it frown.gif.

• Members

Heath,

I've been using one for a couple of months now. No issues with the mixer but I still carry a backup mixer to most gigs (the only time I leave it at home is when the gig is very near by).

I made the move because I really needed the extra channels - otherwise I would have waited to have a look at the iX16.

Having said that, the little Mackie has exceeded my expectations. The only thing that annoys me consistantly is global phantom power (but most smaller Mackie Desks use global phantom power) and the noise if you plug in an unbalanced input (directly to the desk - you need to use a DI).

Cheers 

• Members

WynnD wrote:

Don't know if everyone else can do 5 ghz. Will shut off broadcast of router name. Don't know how to do that yet, but will figure it out.

WynnD,

Also beware that the older airport express' ethernet port is typically configured for WAN only (can't be used by default for LAN, i.e. the mackie). There is a workaround, but it's a cludge and not something i'd want to rely on. The newer ones have two ports, one for WAN, one for LAN.

Greg

• Members

WynnD wrote:

Is the difference between a wan connection and a lan connection a crossover cable? I've been carrying one of those for quite a few years now.

I don't think so. WAN is for connecting the Airport Express to a modem to access the internet. LAN is for connecting a PC or similar to your Airport Express. The older Airport Express does not have a LAN. Cheers.  

• Members

Found the wikipedia page for the airport express that I own. It's the wall wart style and the network port is a WAN/LAN usable connection. Also, this airport express can do either 2.4 ghz or 5 ghz but not both at the same time. So I'm thinking about getting the newest airport express and mounting it beside the mixer on the top of the mixing stack. (Hopefully a more electrically neutral location than inside where all the power and signal wires are.) I use a lot of that two sided thick tape for attaching things like power strips and wireless receivers that don't have official rack mounts. 6 x 1" squares will hold anything that doesn't weigh more than 5 pounds. (And you can get it off if you want.) I've noticed that some think that the $100 price tag is too high for a dual band wifi router with only 2 network ports. (one is WAN/LAN and the other is only LAN) But looking at everything that is cheaper and everything that has more ports has led me to think that the Apple product is what I need at a very good price. Planning on naming the WIFI network NoInternetHere just incase someone finds it. Will apply a lengthy passphrase for security. Would I be out of line locking out my bandmates from the master controls and limiting them to their own monitor mixes? (Would you give a six year old a second set of controls to your car while you were driving?) Gotta get my stuff together and get some bench time before our Sept 20th gig. (Do I overthink things? Probably.)

• Members

Can I just chime in and let you know I'm selling my DL1608, even have the box. Also have a soft case for it. And I have the latest Airport Express for sale. Just tired of running the PA and supplying the equipment and hauling it, etc. Bandless at the moment so it isn't getting used anyway.

$775 plus shipping for dl1608 and soft case

$85 shipped for airport express

• Members

ShizzelDizzel wrote:

Can I just chime in and let you know I'm selling my DL1608, even have the box. Also have a soft case for it. And I have the latest Airport Express for sale. Just tired of running the PA and supplying the equipment and hauling it, etc. Bandless at the moment so it isn't getting used anyway.

$775 plus shipping for dl1608 and soft case

$85 shipped for airport express

Shizzel,

Where are you located?

Greg

• Members

The various tablet apps handle this with carried success. The X32 has a full meter bridge for all inputs, outputs, and busses visible at the main mix screen as well as long text labeled color coding, and graphic images to ID each channel.

The SL has 12 vs 8 faders per page and Mackie has a tracking scrol of 8 faders.

From all reports, all of these apps work fine In real world situations even at max channel count (32 or 16).

I have all of them loaded on my iPad mini.

Archived