X-32 keeps rebooting

• Members

I have a friend who just got one recently. Everything was fine until one show it shut down & rebooted 6 times. I asked aout the local AC and he said it was the same stage he had been running for several days AND he was using a tripp-lite Power conditioner/voltage regulator and it gave no indication of under or over voltage. Anyone had this problem? It's still warranteed of course but he wanted me to ask around to see if it was a common problem. A local sound contractor who owns several said they have not had this problem (switches & led's are a different story but with a pad, who cares :-).

• CMS Author

Dogoth wrote:

I have a friend who just got one recently. Everything was fine until one show it shut down & rebooted 6 times. I asked aout the local AC and he said it was the same stage he had been running for several days AND he was using a tripp-lite Power conditioner/voltage regulator and it gave no indication of under or over voltage. Anyone had this problem? It's still warranteed of course but he wanted me to ask around to see if it was a common problem. A local sound contractor who owns several said they have not had this problem (
switches & led's are a different story
but with a pad, who cares :-).

What's that story?

• Members

Craigv wrote:

Dogoth wrote:

(
switches & led's are a different story
but with a pad, who cares :-).

What's that story?

Of the 5 X32s owned by the sound contractor I mentioned, 2 have bad switches (a total of 3 instances - one includes a bad LED). A national act that carries one for IEM's (in a NICE road case) had 1 bad switch and 2 non-working LEDs. My same friend that this post is about has a bad switch. That makes the majority of the X-32s that I've seen have either switch or LED issues (It's the multi color LED's inside the square switches that go bad).

Update on problem. NOW the truth comes out. Evidently my friend has had his analog A&H shut down once before at the same venue - same power source. At this point, he's blaming the power source. His Tripp-Lite went through a floating neutral situation about 9 months ago (wreaked havoc with his gear and caused a lot of heat in the power conditioner). I told him to suspect the power conditioner as being bad. The board is probably OK.

Thanks for your posts anyway (this is what happens when communication is second hand :-).

Cheers

• Members

20mSec? Wow. That's only one cycle at 50Hz. For a few pennies more, you could extend the power supply ride-through time by a factor of 10. I actully tested the loss of power and recovery threshold of an older pm series console and it was over 100mSec.

I just don't understand this level of cost sensitivity in a product that presumes to be a professional level product. What benefit could there possibly be there to saving a couple cents compared with the problems that it brings? And the user needs to use a ups to carry through such a short L.O.P. event because of a few pennies savings?

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

20mSec? Wow. That's only one cycle at 50Hz. For a few pennies more, you could extend the power supply ride-through time by a factor of 10. I actully tested the loss of power and recovery threshold of an older pm series console and it was over 100mSec.

I just don't understand this level of cost sensitivity in a product that presumes to be a professional level product. What benefit could there possibly be there to saving a couple cents compared with the problems that it brings? And the user needs to use a ups to carry through such a short L.O.P. event because of a few pennies savings?

I agree Andy.  That seems pretty thin to me too.  Do you have any suggestions for a voltage regulator?

Archived