Peavey ISO EURO 218 sub.

• Members

I just became aware of these, it's a 2x18 sub in a fairly attractive (rare for Peavey!) plywood cabinet of a size and weight more typical of a decent 118 box. The price, at $900, seems to indicate a fairly good passive box, though it's certainly not expensive for a 2x18. The power handling isn't outrageous by Peavey standards, either - 1600 watts for the cab, which has a 4 ohm rating - making it an ideal match for some of the lightweight amps on the market these day.

Has anyone heard these?

The manual is at http://aa.peavey.com/assets/literature/specs/03600480_10370.pdf

• Members

Why read again? I meant to state 1600 watts "program power", which means 800 watts RMS, which, according to the prevailing sentiment here, ought to make it an ideal match for one side of an IPR3000, which puts out 840 watts at 4 ohms. We do power the cab as a unit, do we not?

• Members

I've seen the whole EU line in Peavey literature and on their web site for a while, but no one seems to have ever actually seen or used one as far as I have been able to find. Their powered models look intriguing, but I just do not feel inclined to gamble the $ to find out if they are as good in person as they are on paper.

http://www.peavey.com/products/proaudio/loudspeakers/eu/

• Members
800 watts RMS, which, according to the prevailing sentiment here, ought to make it an ideal match for one side of an IPR3000, which puts out 840 watts at 4 ohms.

Yup, the IPR3000 is ideal for them. The drivers sound like they are in the same class as the PV118 driver. Those are pro 18's, these are pro 18+'s whatever that means. Possibly the same 3 inch voice coil size...

• Members

Someone provided some search results for EU218 at Peavey (I had tried EURO 218 without any luck). An experienced ear tried them against the SP and QW, and it sounded like the QW would be a better sub for me. The only advantage of the EU seemed to be in the handling. There wasn't much of a weight difference. In reality, I'll probably have my SP118 for a long time to come, but it's fun to see what else is out there.

• Members

Yup, the IPR3000 is ideal for them. The drivers sound like they are in the same class as the PV118 driver. Those are pro 18's, these are pro 18+'s whatever that means. Possibly the same 3 inch voice coil size...

If they are the same drivers as the pv118 don't waste your money. I have a pair of the pv118 and they don't put out much... Maybe this cab is tuned better and with 2 per cab maybe... but you would be better off IMO with a pair of SP118.

• Members

IIRC, that's their stamped frame neo 18 (the same line of speakers in the plastic PR series) with I think a 2.5" or 3" VC. It's IMO a very MI grade product but I do agree that it's one of their best looking boxes I have seen in a long time.

• Members

IIRC, that's their stamped frame neo 18 (the same line of speakers in the plastic PR series) with I think a 2.5" or 3" VC. It's IMO a very MI grade product but I do agree that it's one of their best looking boxes I have seen in a long time.

PR = Pile of Rubbage

• Members

The smaller ones are 2.5" and rated at 200wrms and the Pro 18 is a 3" rated at 300wrms. The one in this box is rated at 400wrms and called a pro 18+. Note that the usual rule that anything that has "pro" in its name isn't :facepalm: . But they actually seem like decent ?

• Members

I like the "Lo-Rider" 18s (800 watts RMS).Thats the driver they put in their powered single 18 sub version according to the link,and hitting it with 1000 watts should make it a pretty killer little powered single 18 sub.Wonder whether or not it will actually be able to compete with PRX XLF.It appears to be designed for that.As for that dual 18 box,I don't get it.Isn't one of the main reasons for dual 18s the lower available frequency response because of the larger box? I know thats the reason I elected to go that route,and I got an amp that requires 2-18 boxes.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Interesting how that EU118D was never actually released.

gonzobassman wrote:

I like the "Lo-Rider" 18s (800 watts RMS).Thats the driver they put in their powered single 18 sub version according to the link,and hitting it with 1000 watts should make it a pretty killer little powered single 18 sub.Wonder whether or not it will actually be able to compete with PRX XLF.It appears to be designed for that.As for that dual 18 box,I don't get it.Isn't one of the main reasons for dual 18s the lower available frequency response because of the larger box? I know thats the reason I elected to go that route,and I got an amp that requires 2-18 boxes.

Archived