Still searching for new active tops to complement my new LS801p's

• Members

The obvious choice is the ef500p. I believe the advantages are; the filters(xovers) and amps match and it should just be a plug and play rig. And I believe the disadvantage is the 60 deg horn and I know the weight is a disadvantage. I think another advantage to this box is that it has a true 2" throat horn similar to the JBL 2245 which I'm pretty familiar with. This thing will cut for loud rock bands which is what I do.

The other contenders are;

the EV ZXA5 and I also believe the disadvantages to this box are #1, the price-about 50% more- and it has no clip indicator light. Also, it's a plastic box.

Advantage- the weight. It's Loud and it has a 90deg horn, but I'm not sure the horn is a true 2" throat.

the Yamaha DSR115. I've heard a lot of good about this box. I've heard it's Loud and can keep up with the Yorkville subs. It's got a 90 deg. horn but again, I can't tell if it has a true 2".

I've been scouring the web for info and I've come to the conclusion that a lot of the comments are from DJ's and they don't necessarily apply to live, loud rock bands. The gigs that I do, we play as loud as the bar will let us. With my old JBL system, I could feel it thumping from onstage and it just didn't sound right unless I could kind of feel surrounded while playing on stage.

Also, the reason I'm hung on a 90 deg horn, is I do not plan on ever adding another top to array them and I think a 90 deg horn is more versatile for the smaller speaker on a stick gigs that we occasionally do.

So those are the contenders, the Yorkville EF501p, the EVZXA5 and the Yamaha DSR115.

What say you?

• Members

Just Mike wrote:

The obvious choice is the ef500p. I
believe
the advantages are; the filters(xovers) and amps match and it should just be a plug and play rig. And I
believe
 the disadvantage is the 60 deg horn and I know the weight is a disadvantage. I think another advantage to this box is that it has a true 2" throat horn similar to the JBL 2245 which I'm pretty familiar with. This thing will cut for loud rock bands which is what I do.

The other contenders are;

the EV ZXA5 and I also
believe
the disadvantages to this box are #1, the price-about 50% more- and it has no clip indicator light. Also, it's a plastic box.

Advantage- the weight. It's Loud and it has a 90deg horn, but I'm not sure the horn is a true 2" throat.

the Yamaha DSR115. I've heard a lot of good about this box. I've heard it's Loud and can keep up with the Yorkville subs. It's got a 90 deg. horn but again, I can't tell if it has a true 2".

I've been scouring the web for info and I've come to the conclusion that a lot of the comments are from DJ's and they don't necessarily apply to live, loud rock bands. The gigs that I do, we play as loud as the bar will let us. With my old JBL system, I could feel it thumping from onstage and it just didn't sound right unless I could kind of feel surrounded while playing on stage.

Also, the reason I'm hung on a 90 deg horn, is I do not plan on ever adding another top to array them and I think a 90 deg horn is more versatile for the smaller speaker on a stick gigs that we occasionally do.

So those are the contenders, the Yorkville EF501p, the EVZXA5 and the Yamaha DSR115.

What say you?

The only one I have personally listened to is the DSR115.  They are lighter than the Yorkies (if you care .... which you may not since you have two LS801p's ;) ).  I can say that having heard the 801p's and the DSR115's, I think they DSR's will keep up.  You may find you need to back off of the highs a bit, but I have never heard even a hint of distortion from my DSR112's that use the same horn.... even when driven completely into hard clip.  The DSR115's had the best bottom punch of any of the 15" speakers I tested.

I have only heard the EV's in a corporate environment .... which doesn't count in your use model ;) 

• Members

Yorkville in Canada:

2 year "even if you break it" warranty. You blow the speaker, it falls off a truck, you Drop it in the river. First 2 years, you get it repaired. 10 year for hardware.

I had a castor on an LS800p go to hell on me after about 8 years of use. They replaced it, and sent 4 total to swap them all out for new ones.

At the time of purchase for speakers you can extend the 2 year warranty. And I believe even after they send an email if you want to extend the warranty.

Even with other gear. I extend my StudioLive 24.4.2 warranty. One nice part is they give you a replacement if you have to send yours out for work.

Archived