Well now I've done it. (Non-profit)

• Members

Well shoot. There was an article in the local paper, about an upcoming trio of some note. They had a couple hits in Canada in the 90's. they are coming to play at one of the higschools, $20/head, with a local quartet opening. I've done sound for the quartet before, good guys. (3 guitars & mandolin, 4 vocal mics) the article mentions "I've never handled a band this big before, the requirements are quite a bit steeper than I've dealt with in the past".

Ding. There's an in for me. Knowing they probably have nothing for lights I give them my pitch. $300 for truss, 11 - 3NX and 4 Fab5's for the front.

$50 to add 4 Minimacs

$50 to add 4 Spot Duos

Haze included with the moving heads.

Here's the reply:

"I might need help with sound for this show as my regular guy is out of town next month. Not looking for any fancy for lighting just basic spots. We are a non-profit society, and don't expect to make any money off this show or any other show we do. We try to break even.

It is good to know you are available and I would like to discuss it with you."

Normally I'm $500 for sound only, depending on the gig. I'll get in contact with him and let him know its $500 for sound and the front lights on the band, but I can discount it by $100 for them.

Unfortunately I'm a for profit organization. Maybe they will like what I do vs their own guy, though I'm pretty sure their own guy is volunteer.

;)

• Members

how many times have I heard that line...

Charge what is fair. Discount to where you think it's not sticker shock and you are comfortable. 

$500 for sound and lights for a semi known act. 

take $100 off for taxes, $75 for gas, a helper $?, you end up at a $300 gig in a hurry. $500 is 25 attendees through the door. Is there an expectation of attendance?  If it's a good cause, good people, really cool act, food supplied, decent hours, then why not... sounds more like a $900-1200 in my book

I dont know of many 501c3 that simply want to break even every time btw

• Members

Yeah normally it's $800 for the works indoor, or separately:

$300 - $400 for lights (basic up to full meal deal)

$500 for the full sound they would need.

So I'll go in for $400 or nothing. I don't think SOS would cut it, or I'd go in a little cheaper. We are in a rinky-dink town of 10,000. $400 would still be worthwhile on my end, for sound only. I've priced the lights at $400 for the works so they aren't too expensive, and still worth my time and effort etc.

• Members

I do charge the same. A normal bar gig has from 1-3 bands, usually 2. I get what you're saying about the $100. I haven't contacted them yet about price. I'll go in for the full $500 and mention that outdoors it's $1200 for the same thing.

If they don't go for it I can always pay my $20 to see how it goes down.

Archived