What is it about bad sound that makes it so fatiqueing?

• Members

The wife and I went to see the band my brother is in (he's the drummer). It was new country music. This is a small place and the band was not stupid loud. But, the EQ was terrible, the balance was terrible. Everything just sounded like crap.  I talked to my bro about it and he said he would mention it to their sound guy. Like I said, it was not real loud but the wife and I had to leave after a little more than a set because it just tired us out listening to it.

• Members

This study was mentioned in another thread, I think... but did his band/music contain any of the following?

1. A knife on a bottle

2. A fork on a glass

3. Chalk on a blackboard

4. A ruler on a bottle

5. Nails on a blackboard

6. A female scream

7. An anglegrinder (a power tool)

8. Squealing brakes on a bicycle

9. A baby crying

10. An electric drill

• Members

in a small place it's not always the sound guy's fault or responsibility for the entirety of the tones. Yes, obviously a poor sound person can also F up the sound equally as well as the band. bashing drummer, out of whack stage volumes along with crappy tones sometimes can't be overcome by the sound system. Except for vocals, often only a small percentage of the support is through the system. 

What tires me out at a gig are guitar tones that are too overdriven and bright along with bashing drummers that hit too many cymbals. Strident vocals can do it too. out of balance no..

• Members

What type of speakers? I saw a DJ a while back with yamaha clubs, while they weren't loud, but they wore on my ears in about 15 minutes. I just couldn't take it any longer. I thought those were regarded as pretty decent speakers.

re live performance and being hard on your ears there could be very many reasons for what you were experiencing down to the environment of the room as well.

• Members

nchangin wrote:

What type of speakers? I saw a DJ a while back with yamaha clubs, while they weren't loud, but they wore on my ears in about 15 minutes. I just couldn't take it any longer. I thought those were regarded as pretty decent speakers.

re live performance and being hard on your ears there could be very many reasons for what you were experiencing down to the environment of the room as well.

I think anyone would/should realize, especially on this forum, that you can make any speakers sound bad, conversely, a good mixer can get favorable results from lower end equipment as well

• Members

nchangin wrote:

(The Yamahas) have a typical HF hump from 1.5-5khz might need to be EQed depending on the room. Comes in handy when vocals are competing with screaming guitars.

• Members

A good (arguable great) soundperson told me decades ago:  "Bands come in two types:

1)  They suck, or

2)  They don't suck."

I firmly believe that unless a band doesn't use monitors and "possibly" doesn't use a PA... the soundperson is as influential to the band's sound as any performer on stage so-long as the soundperson's influence isn't the weakest link.  It's a package deal: a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link (and you can't polish a turd).

• Members

give the sound man a break, imho  the  bigest problem with live band  in a small gig is lead guitar and the drummer, 

drummers always tune their drums to be as loud as possible, guitar solos always on "10" everything mic'ed up

what do you get in the foh , drums and guitar

:smiley-bounce012:

Archived