Gaffers tape, what's the best deal?

• Members

I use the 'Pro Gaffers Gaff Tape'.  When I buy it, I do it in bulk from Harrison Bros. Inc. AKA The Tape Works, the standard 2" width is $13.69 for basic colors and then $15.59 for Neons. 

This is what I am using: http://www.thetapeworks.com/tape/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=42_44_47&zenid=87fb38379d576d5e49aca542d020fe23

I use about 10 rolls a year for various events and such.

• Members

I've probably mentioned before that I get all my tape(s) from Holly North - a film supply store. Not sure how their prices compare, but I just like the convenience and the selection .http://www.hollynorth.com/shop/product-category/tape/

They are only ten minutes from my house so I've never used their mail order, and I don't know if they ship to the U.S.A., or if it would even make sense. There's probably something similar just South of the border.

Or if your up skiing in Whistler it might be worth a visit on the way back. It's an interesting store and they've got all those cool belt packs that the crews use on set.

• Members

I got so spoiled when I worked in audio shops. We'd get back half-full and quarter-full rolls from show-site that couldn't be sent out on another show (corporate gigs, everything had to be shiny and new looking, even the expendables)... After a particularly busy season, we'd have more small rolls than the hop would ever need (knowing that we'd just continue to get more back as the shows came and went), so we'd each take a couple home. I was never without Gaff.. Now, years later, I have used up all of my small rolls. I actually had to buy Gaffers tape. Went to GC (because there is one right around the corner from our Tuesday gig) and spent almost 20 bucks. 

Now that I'm more of a player than tech (used to be about 50/50) I am thinking about going back to doing things the way I used to...  for the price of one 'ugly rug' ( a friend of ours had this hideous thing he used to use to cover his cables...) I could get a bit more use than one roll of gaffers... 

rug

Archived