Small PA mains advice needed

• Members

I play as part of an acoustic duo (guitars, vocals only) and sometimes we perform in small spaces and/or in spaces that required low volumes. For these performances, I would like pair of small, passive PA speakers (8" or 10"), smaller than the EX SX100+ speakers that I own and use for our relatively larger/louder performances. I wanted to ask the sound experts in this forum what you think might be some good options. I am willing to spend up to about $600 for the pair. Right now EV ZX1 and Yorkville YX10 seem to be the top contenders. Again, this is for small spaces at low volumes. Thanks in advance for your help.

• Members

YX12s are bigger than what I already have (EV SX100+). I want a smaller pair of speakers that do not cause the people who hire me for a house party, or to play in a library, to say "Wow, those are big." This is why I am thinking a smaller 10" or 8" speaker cabinet.

• Members

donkey 12 wrote:

I play as part of an acoustic duo (guitars, vocals only) and sometimes we perform in small spaces and/or in spaces that required low volumes. For these performances, I would like pair of small, passive PA speakers (8" or 10"), smaller than the EX SX100+ speakers that I own and use for our relatively larger/louder performances. I wanted to ask the sound experts in this forum what you think might be some good options. I am willing to spend up to about $600 for the pair. Right now EV ZX1 and Yorkville YX10 seem to be the top contenders. Again, this is for small spaces at low volumes. Thanks in advance for your help.

I was looking at used gear at GC's website and noticed a pair of EAW dual 8" centerfills. Can't remember the model number but they looked quite small and were going for $295.00 ? each. Right in your budget.

• Members

donkey 12 wrote:

I live in a gulf coast resort town that runs on solo and duo acts.  I can tell you what the full time people who make their livings playing  gigs like that would do in your situation.   They would just use a single EX SX100 that you already own.  Half the hassle on load in , no extra money out of your pocket.   It will do the job on a patio show or typical small bar room corner stage where you dont need a lot of volume.  Its the most logical way to go smaller in your situation.   Try it before you buy another set of speakers.

• Members

TIMKEYS wrote:

donkey 12 wrote:

I live in a gulf coast resort town that runs on solo and duo acts.  I can tell you what the full time people who make their livings playing  gigs like that would do in your situation.   They would just use a single EX SX100 that you already own.  Half the hassle on load in , no extra money out of your pocket.   It will do the job on a patio show or typical small bar room corner stage where you dont need a lot of volume.  Its the most logical way to go smaller in your situation.   Try it before you buy another set of speakers.

+1 and the SX100 has a handle :smileyhappy:

• Members

I've been using one YX10P for all my restaurant gigs for the last couple of months. Yorkville has done a pretty nice job on the cabs considering the price points of their other powered speakers. No it's not EV, no it's not QSC or even Yorkville's elite series. However, I would rather use a YX10P than an elite E10P in the situations I've been working. IMHO, although there's a bit of upper end harshness in the YX cabs (throughout the series) they also don't have a lot of "gacky" mid.

But as I said, they certainly aren't the top of the line, so it would depend on your needs, and proximity to a dealer. If you had access to used that would put you in the ball park of $600.00 for a pair.

A bit of an aside here - I played a small wedding gig last Saturday, for about 75 people. The keyboard player was using a Yorkville NX55P and a Yorkville NX200 sub. I was using a Blues Junior for my guitar, there was a regular drum kit , horn and three vocal mics. The leader used a box mixer and two twenty year old Yorkville Performance series 10" speakers. Even the passive YX10's would have been better than his speakers, but he did coax every last bit of decent sound out of those boxes.  At the end of the wedding, we had many compliments on the band and overall sound quality. Go figure...

• Members

Perhaps I will just use one of the SX100+ speakers for smaller venues. I have done this before. There are a couple of small spaces, too small for both of these 12" cabs, that would benefit from having two mains for better coverage, but I'm starting to wonder if it is worth buying two more speakers for these situations.

Archived