Gigging with SRM450's tonight, Any EQ tips?

• Members

I'll be using them over Yorkville LS801p subs for my band, which is LOUD rock music. It'll be interesting to compare them to the ef500p's. As I said in another post, with recorded music, the Yorkvilles were limiting before the Mackies were, for whatever that's worth.

Anyway, which freq's should I look at notching?

• Members

I've notched that artificial Mackie sizzle out (6.5-8k) at times, but it robs you of headroom when you need everything they've got - which is pretty much always me if what I've got that night is 450s. So usually I just run them flat and live with it.

• Members

Since you are just grabbing some cabs and piling them on top of some subs or on sticks then why not run some  quality recorded music through your system.

Leave all the tone controls flat, and your GEQ flat

Adjust the tops/bottoms so system sounds full sounding as close as you can get it.

Then tone shape the system with your GEQ.

Adjust individual tone controls on each channel for whatever you run through each channel.

Unless you have an RTA, or Smaart and pink noise, and sine wave generator, and all that such

:)

• Members

Pro Sound Guy wrote:

Since you are just grabbing some cabs and piling them on top of some subs or on sticks then why not run some 
 quality recorded music through your system.

Leave all the tone controls flat, and your GEQ flat

Adjust the tops/bottoms so system sounds full sounding as close as you can get it.

Then tone shape the system with your GEQ.

Adjust individual tone controls on each channel for whatever you run through each channel.

Unless you have an RTA, or Smaart and pink noise, and sine wave generator, and all that such

:)

indeed. perfect advice. 

I'll add an old school technique;

grab the lead vocal mic at FOH and if you can sing at all, sweep from as low as you can with your voice on up, listening for "hotspots" in the venue. When i do briefcase gigs I'll often employ that technique and make a couple quickie adjustments. 

Archived