RCF again (comparing 4pro 8003 with JBL PRX subs)

• Members

Hey, 

So i did a fill in gig mixing for a band on their equipment. My mate who books me didnt know much about the gear they had. Anyway, i show up, turns out its the bands PA - solid stock standard stuff - mixwiz, RCF 422s over 4pro 8003 AS subs. I'd used RCF plenty of times but always in sub optimal situations. 

I did the two shows i was booked for, and it is now officially one of my life's goals to get an RCF FOH system. Good band - did some creative stuff too with hip hop tunes which was great. But i was blown away by this as far as portable PA goes. The horns on the 422s, i just loved. I believe i read on here the other day that the 4 series had been discontinued, so i guess i'll be looking at 722A or perhaps the new HD 32A. 

This won't be happening any time soon - I'm currently running a 2 year old EV ELX system, and I'm happy enough with it - and to be fair, i havent lost any gigs due to it being inadequate - so there's no reason to think an RCF rig would increase my income or anything. But when the EV comes up for replacement, i'll be looking at RCF. 

Anyway here's my question: When i brought the EV, i was put off by the RCF because i wasn't happy with any of their sub offerings - the 4pro sub sounded amazing on this gig (interestingly it did not impress me instore) but it (and RCFs other 18 inch offerings) all weigh around the 50kg mark - simply too heavy for me as a lone engineer often working upstairs ballrooms in the city. 

So i'm wondering what my options could be - obviously i'll check out the 905AS but when i did that last time i was underwhelmed. Might try actually renting a pair for a gig. 

I'm wondering how a JBL PRX 618 or the new 718 XLF would stack up by comparison with the RCF 4 pro? Has anyone compared them? I remember a guy on forum a couple of years ago going with 618XLFs under the 722s and being happy. How about the new 715XLF?

• Members

I still don't think there is a powered sub in the same class as the XLF that can touch it for output and sound quality.

When I listened to the compeitors to the XLF from Yamaha, QSC, Peavey, etc, nothing else was even close to my ears.

If you want more output, the LS801P is very heavy, but puts out more sound than anything I have heard in a single powered 18".

• Members

I know how you feel Heath. How long can you hold out?

Re the XLF subs - I've only ever been able to compare them directly with the Live X subs and as you know they are definitely a step up.  I've got two XLFs but I'd really like to have 4 (can't happen at the moment because they won't fit in the van) - as there are times when I just need the extra oomph. When the new PRX 7 series hits Australia I'll bechecking out the subs - I am thinking 4 of the 15 inch subs might fit in my van and may out perform two 618XLFs.

As for RCF gas, fortunately for me the HD 32 A is not available here yet.

Cheers

• Members

heath_eld wrote:

How long can I hold out? Lol. I can't afford it anyway. Not gonna borrow the money at this stage (I'd need to be without a system to do that!)

905as > 705as right?

Yes, 18" versus 15". Also they are band pass design, which aren't as musical, but more about output. Honestly, the JBL is going to be a better bang for the buck. If you want low, loud, and light and not break the bank, it's pretty much the go to sub, IMO.

Archived