Laser safety

• Members

Green is easier to see than red, so when both are present, red usually must have a higher wattage to appear equally visable. The power is a little high for safe use in a club without training, unless the beam is broken or diffused so that beam power is greatly reduced. I would have some concern with its use unless I had more input than what you offered here. Here is a brief description:

Class IIIb

Lasers in this class may cause damage if the beam enters the eye directly. This generally applies to lasers powered from 5

• Members

If you would like, I can forward the FDA's laser safety guidelines that we use for any event that uses a laser. PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you the document. It's quite eye opening (no pun intended) in that is explains the potential liabilities that venues and authority in charge can be subject to including fines.

• Members

Having been hit (scanned) in the face by improperly operated lasers in the 500mW range, while mixing at foh, it's disorienting and that's with me wearing glasses with a coating that scattered the beam somewhat. I was pissed. This is my workplace.

That mistake earned a premature end to the laser part of the bands show. They had been clearly warned earlier in the day.

• Members

It probably goes without saying, but just in case...

Be very careful using lasers at outdoor shows, where either direct or reflected lasers could point upwards into the sky. Especially if you're anywhere near arrival/departure routes near airports, but even in rural areas you can get in trouble with occasional fly-overs from police or EMT helicopters. The FAA takes lasers very seriously. They will track you down if a pilot reports an incident, and the penalties are stiff.

• Members

Reson8tor wrote:

It probably goes without saying, but just in case...

Be very careful using lasers at outdoor shows, where either direct or reflected lasers could point upwards into the sky. Especially if you're anywhere near arrival/departure routes near airports, but even in rural areas you can get in trouble with occasional fly-overs from police or EMT helicopters. The FAA takes lasers very seriously. They
will
track you down if a pilot reports an incident, and the penalties are stiff.

Correct, outdoors requires an additional FAA variance in addition to the FDA. They can limit the hours of operation, the direction of the display, just about everything... and they can also say NO.

• Members

This would apply to beams with non-user defeatable been splitters or diffraction devices.

Most of my experience is with large format laser shows, 5-50 WATT lasers that are scanner based rather than pattern based. Anything with anamation capability would be an example of this kind of device. A single very high intensity beam, capable of damaging building surfaces, is used. All focusing is done at low power and then once focused, AND verified for safety and failsafes, beam cutoff devices, is the power turned up. These are the big boy lasers and most of the folks who work in this field are aware of the dangers and take precautions including safety glasses.

Archived