How to run this system

• Members

Pretty interesting for under $200 a box! iTech amps are the obvious solution but big bucks frown.gif. A DR260 and someone who actually knows how to properly set it up and some Peavey IPR amps is the cheap solution - unless you screw up the settings and cook all the drivers eek.gif. I seem to remember the limiters in the IPR DSP amps suck frown.gif - maybe the Crest versions would be usable without the DR260 smile.gif ? Do you know yet what the impedance of the LF sections are?

• Members

My entire post earlier was lost, damn it.

Exactly what model neo is it? I am very familiar with eminence (at the engineering level), products. I ask this because I doubt very much the claimed power rating you gave of the driver. Also, for any efficiency the speaker will need to be designed to be high passed at about 120hz in order to support any kind of power that may or may not be claimed. Most of the 8" drivers with the neo motors that I have seen on 8" metalwork max out at 150 watts and that's high passed at >60 of 70Hz.

Regarding the hf driver, what model? Is it a 2" exit or a 2" diaphragm? There is a big difference. What is the waveguide. There is a lot of difficulties in obtaining a smooth 12 degrees over the hf device bandwidth. I've spent a lot of time and money doing R&D engineering on some commercial line array products.

Regardless, he paid less than the parts not including the boxes. Don't fly them. Don is absolutely correct with his comments. This shows how poor of an investment home made non engineered cabinets are when it comes to resale.

• Members

Checked the driver and its a 2" exit so with his comes some serious dsp secret sauce plus 800 Hz xover but not knowing what the loading is in the hf waveguide it may not be possible. IMO, there are better choices for the hf section using 1" exit drivers.

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

Checked the driver and its a 2" exit so with his comes some serious dsp secret sauce plus 800 Hz xover but not knowing what the loading is in the hf waveguide it may not be possible. IMO, there are better choices for the hf section using 1" exit drivers.

What size exit drivers do you use in your 10" cabs? I don't think I've ever seen an over 1" exit driver in a 10" or smaller cab ...

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

My entire post earlier was lost, damn it.

Exactly what model neo is it? I am very familiar with eminence (at the engineering level), products. I ask this because I doubt very much the claimed power rating you gave of the driver. Also, for any efficiency the speaker will need to be designed to be high passed at about 120hz in order to support any kind of power that may or may not be claimed. Most of the 8" drivers with the neo motors that I have seen on 8" metalwork max out at 150 watts and that's high passed at >60 of 70Hz.

Regarding the hf driver, what model? Is it a 2" exit or a 2" diaphragm? There is a big difference. What is the waveguide. There is a lot of difficulties in obtaining a smooth 12 degrees over the hf device bandwidth. I've spent a lot of time and money doing R&D engineering on some commercial line array products.

Regardless, he paid less than the parts not including the boxes. Don't fly them. Don is absolutely correct with his comments. This shows how poor of an investment home made non engineered cabinets are when it comes to resale.

The woofers are these

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=290-545

• Members

Ok, that 8" driver is the sole exception to my comment about power handling and specific metalwork. It was a very application specific product that was discontinued (becsuse of increased cost of neo along with very little interest). Everything about it makes it inappropriate for matching up with a 2" exit hf driver.

It is best used in a 3 way line array as a mid bass element. In practice, it's useable down to 150hz but lower than that takes a toll on power handling under high output. On the high end, it's good to 2kHz but needs an lr crossover alignment (4th order) as well as perhaps a bit of underlap for good results. My choice would be to cross at between 1200 and 1500Hz with a suitable waveguide. 1200 Hz doesn't bother me because the sensitivity of the 8's is not particularly high so there should be adequate power bandwidth capacity for a good match and the hf performance will be substantially better. Crossing lower gives up too much of the 8's bandwidth and in any case there are probably much better choices in 8" drivers.

So, crossing at 150 -200hz is fine as long as the subs are located with the tops, if not there will likely be an issue with localization of the image as 150-200 Hz is quite obvious under many conditions whereas below 100hz it's not.

This was a "great idea" horribly executed and pretty much worth what he paid. How heavy are the boxes? The hf driver alone is substantial weight, not a good choice if weight is a concern. Otherwise why use the neo 8's?

Beaming is not going to be an issue on 8's even at 1.5kHz in practice IMO.

Archived