Help with mix wiz and crossover

• Members

I've been trying to rethink my current setup. I've actually got myself so confused my head is smokin. I'm using sp2 tops and run them thru a pv23xo for the mids and highs, using a cs3000 amp. Subs are sp118's using a ipr2 7500. The ipr has a switch fo subwoofer......there is no need to run subs thru a crossover...correct? I should be able to go from L out to eq, eq to amp, and amp to subs?? R out to eq, eq to crossover, crossover to amp, amp to sp2's?? Sorry bout the noob ness, but I seem to rethink things in hopes of better sound. Been running in mono, direct thru the crossover and splitting it there, but not happy with the sound.....any suggestions??

• Members

"Reciprocal filters"; what a wonderfully mellifluous way to state that situation.

Further to what AH said - not there really is a further... is that because of the whole different filter, full signal to subs issue, your subs might be producing things they just shouldn't be. For instance, my Yorkville LS608 subs go up to a stated 180 hz, but they really misbehave if I let a full signal through, so I crossover at about 80 or 90 hertz.

Of course you will also be dealing with your subs reproducing some of the low end you top boxes are. That might be dragging down your sound as well.

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

No, you should use the crossover so that you have reciprocal filters.

That's a crapload of power on the high end, without limiting it back to about 1/0 of what your amp is rated for, a momentary accident could end poorly.

lol....now my head hurts more and I have to get an dictionary.  .....So I should use a mono signal from my eq and split at the crossover for the subs and tops???  correct?  I was trying to get away from the mono signal from the mixwiz to possibly pan some drums left to right.....but I believe you AH, I just wished I was on the same verbal level as you...;)

• Members

I wouldn't mess with stereo panning until you get all of the basics sorted out.

If you have a stereo crossover, it doesn't matter. If you have a mono crossover, you need to run mono and split outputs. Many crossovers are stereo 2 way and mono 3 way, be sure you follow the correct markings, use the correct jacks and controls for the mode you are using.

Why are you biamping the top cabinets? I wouldn't mess with this until you get everything else sorted out. Generally the possible benefit (when done correctly) is small, but can be big problems if not done right.

• Members

I am using one side of the cs3000 for the tops, running in parallel@ 4 ohms.  The crossover is a two way stereo or three way mono.  Ive tried to get a manual(lost mine) but peaveys site has problems with the download.

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

Race, you describe both biamp and triamp configurations within your descriptions. Which way are you operating this? I suspect that a large part of your problems is incorrect setup

AH..sorry if I am confusing.....I have two amps for monitor duty (4 auxs)....I have a cs3000 for the tops, using one side of the cs3000, (2) 8 ohm cabs, daisy chained together.  Sub amp is a ipr 7500, using each channel for each 8 ohm sub box........I have one channel on the cs 3000 that I dont currently use.

Incorrect setup is a big possibilite......trying to figure it out...

• Members

TFM.....says nothing about if all thre masters need to be incorporated for effects when running in mono. The left and right master are color coded yellow...as are the #5 and #6 aux that drive the effects. By using the mono master all you have is dry sound....the yellow left and right master have to be brought up equally to get the routed effects to FOH. Looking at the mixer and looking at the colors help understand the routing...but the manual says nothing about color coding.....I read through it again this morning. Maybe thats just stuff your average joe should know....

• Members

I will say...everything went fine at the gig sat. We set up everything up at home and everything sounded great...off to the gig......room was a vounteer fire dept building.....talk about a hard room. It was like playing in a big glass botttle.....concrete floors, 4 ft concrete walls and the rest of the walls and ceiling was tin....bouncy , bouncy....I had to readjust the kick, kill the effects on the voices, and kill the snare mic....all in all it went well...little muddy, but well.

Archived