IPR Settings

• Members

I have an IPR3000 running two Peavey SP2's for mains, and an IPR2-5000 DSP running 2 Peavey18" subs, 400w program, is it better to run mono at 4 ohms for power, and do i set the 3000 at High filter or Full sound? Venue is 100-150 people at a small brewery warehouse, Thanks :)

• Members

Peavey made a ton of SP2's starting way back in the 70's. What model do you have and year was it manufactured ? When you say you have 400 watt 18 subs I'm guessing you have these?

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey/PV-118-Single-18-Subwoofer-1274228073866.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXMP&msclkid=50cd83dbcdab1e0ec345df41601715aa&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=%5BADL%5D%20%5BNon-Brand%5D%20%5BPLA%5D%20%5BUS%5D%20%5BEnhanced%5D%20%5BShopping%5D%20-%20(Product%20Type%20-%20Brand)%20-%20MQ&utm_term=1100501458960&utm_content=Product%20Type%20-%20Brand&adlclid=ADL-5e6e46b6-2029-4510-b258-a244119d6e2d

The IPR2 5000DSP is 975 watts RMS at 8 ohms. Your sub is 400 watts "Program" which is closer to 200 watts RMS (If I have the correct sub) This is way too much power and you'd have to be very careful not to trash them on the first show.

Let us know what Year your Sp2's were manufactured and we can go from there. Yes you should have the bass, roughly 100 to 150hz and below go to the sub and 100 to 150hz and above going to the Sp2's. You may be able to use the IPR 3000 to run the whole system mono as its a better power match for what you have. Let us know again what you have for Tops and Subs as far as Model and year manufactured so we can give you better advice.

Doug ( A more than 30 year Peavey user )

https://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/667/116951

https://peavey.com/news/article.cfm/action/view/id/554/cat/1

• Members

Hey Doug .... I don't know which model they are but mfg date is 2003, I have replaced all cones and drivers this last year, the nameplate on back says 8 ohms, 1000 watts program, I know the subs are not good, but it's for my son's band and that's all they have and this is for 1 gig only, so they don't want to spend more to get better ... so would I be better off with just the 5000 and sp2 running? Also, just running kick thru subs, no instruments, and you are correct on the subs, 2015 year mfg, PV118

• Members
Hey Doug .... I don't know which model they are but mfg date is 2003' date=' I have replaced all cones and drivers this last year, the nameplate on back says 8 ohms, 1000 watts program, I know the subs are not good, but it's for my son's band and that's all they have and this is for 1 gig only, so they don't want to spend more to get better ... so would I be better off with just the 5000 and sp2 running? Also, just running kick thru subs, no instruments, and you are correct on the subs, 2015 year mfg, PV118[/quote']

Hi; I should of asked what you have for a mixer but this is what I would do to start the band off. Peavey recommends roughly between RMS and Program power for their speakers. The IPR3000 is 840 watts at 4 ohms. Your 2 tops running on 1 side of the IPR3000 is 4 ohms, your 2 subs running on the other side is 4 0hms.This way you'll have 840 watts for tops/subs with 1/2 the wattage divided up between the 2 speakers or 420 watts to each speaker. Get a Y cable like this as an example.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...8-fa0c83b4d5a7

Pan everything on your mixer to the left if you have a stereo mixer. Go Left out to the Y cable. Plug the Y cable into your 2 inputs of the IPR3000. Have 1 channel with the Low Cut on and use this channel to feed your sp2's. Have on the other channel of the amp the High Cut on and use this channel to run your subs. Next turn the Sp2 channel all the way down on the amp and have the Sub channel turned all the say up on the amp. Now put on a music track or 2 your know well and slowly turn up your music on your mixer until the subs are working some. You don't have to shake the room. Next bring up the top channel on the amp enough so the tops and subs blend. Of course have any eq on the music channel set to Flat as well as any other eq's you may have inline. With the relative level set between subs and tops you can eq from there. A tip. Have the subs in the center touching each other or stacked together on the side of a stage when ever possible. Have the Sp2's on tripods L/R. This will give you a easy Bi-amp system with Program power to the subs and very close to rms power to the tops. Your tops may have to be turned down some as the limiting equipment as far as output at this time is the subs. When you get higher power handling subs you can add the IPR2 5000. Using the IPR3000 in mono is a great way to get going and if you keep an eye on the ddt Lights you'll most likely see the Subs DDT lights turning on first. This will tell you you've reached the max output and to turn down just a hair.

Doug

• Members

Wow Doug, thanks for the information, I wish we had your system, If they start getting bigger gigs, they will have to upgrade, they are running a peavey 14 unpowered mixer, im not sure yet if they are on a riser, i'll know tomorrow night, they are setting up and doing a sound check, I'm definitely going to setup like you told me, it totally makes sense. I sometimes struggle with them on their instrument volume, as they are young and think louder is better. I also thought I might run the 5000 or 3000 at 4 ohms on main vocals only with the sp2 and no subs if they cant listen to me about volume. I really appreciate your advice and obviously you know your Sh$t. I'm a little confused on your advice on amp about lo cut and hi cut, my amp says Hi Pass and Subwoofers, so i switch subwoofer to sub side and Hi pass on SP2's correct?

• Members

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"thumb","data-attachmentid":32496710}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"thumb","data-attachmentid":32496711}[/ATTACH]SP2 speakers, and amp switches on back of IPR300

Thanks again Doug

• Members

Yes you have it right. The SP2's plugged into the Hi Pass ( Just the Highs Pass through ) and the subs plugged into the side that Subwoofer is selected on. Remember Sound Reinforcement is just that. Add what is not loud enough for the room. If their instrument amps are loud enough on stage then they don't need to be in the speaker system. If their amps are small enough size wise have them on the floor in front of them pointed up at them. It helps keep the volume down. If that won't work do what you can to get them to put the amps on the Left / Right sides of the stage again pointed in at them. The less that is going out to the front crowd area the better. Of course keep it fun and keep the vocals on top if at all possible.

Doug

A picture of guitar amps pointed at the band. This is a small room setup. 2 EV SXA250's and a single Yorkville LS801pb

400b7094ea39f915b16fcf3ca259cc3e.jpg.c91732f02087d1ba0ad61b9d4669e624.jpg

• Members

Ok you were so right on the money about settings and placement. We turned bass amp and lead amp in toward band, and your advice on settings on IPR3000 were perfect. On initial sound check had to go full volume on SP2's to match subs (weird) but next night at gig, only had to use half volume and show was perfect and loud! I was worried I wouldnt have enough headroom with the 3000, and almost used the 5000, but YOU WERE RIGHT! We had 150 attend, I'm guessing the 40-50 people who came and stood up front of the band and annoyed alot of people, absorbed all the noise in the warehouse? Thank you so much for your input, I was seriously surprised and amazed how perfect it worked,your advice made for a great night!!

• Members

Glad everything worked out for you. Instrument placement I know helps a lot with the kind of band your working with. It also helps them with hearing themselves and they may find they turn down some as a added benefit. I cut my teeth if you will with Peavey Sp2's. I had the Sp1's Sp2,Sp2A,Sp2Ti,Sp2Xt,Sp2g,Sp1G also Peavey QWave 1 tops and a few more. Also have owned Peavey FH1's , FH2's subs, 118 Internationals, RBS2, DTH218b and many other Peavey subs. The Sp2's , depending on model , have a power range they like to live in. Also cutting 100hz and below out of them gives them more headroom and more wattage to use where you need it. Rooms always sound different when empty compared to when the room is full. If when the crowd fills in and you have a little headroom in the amp running the tops you can always turn the top amp channel up if it still sounds balanced with the subs. Sounds like your headed in the right direction and will continue to give the band great sound.

Have fun with the band;

Doug

Archived