Recommendations for versatile PA speakers

• Members

Will these be run by you or your techs, or rented to anyone? Are these replacing a rental stock, or are you just starting out? Along those lines, do you want one pair two, three...? How long is your amortization period, or return on investment length of time? Do you want them paid in three months, a year or? Are you located near repair facilities or would you have to ship out? When you say A/V hire use, do you mean church events or Club Nights featuring DJ Eee Dee M?

What's your preferred price point?

• Members
Will these be run by you or your techs, or rented to anyone? Are these replacing a rental stock, or are you just starting out? Along those lines, do you want one pair two, three...? How long is your amortization period, or return on investment length of time? Do you want them paid in three months, a year or? Are you located near repair facilities or would you have to ship out? When you say A/V hire use, do you mean church events or Club Nights featuring DJ Eee Dee M?

What's your preferred price point?

Hi Shaster,

These would be run by my techs. We already have a few pairs of the EV ZLX series to send out for dry rentals. We are just starting out so this would be a new addition for us and with that being said we would only need one pair to start with.

Ideally, I would want them paid in four months. Regarding repair facilities, we are located in Nashville and have access to some excellent facilities, but hopefully won't need them for a long while!

The type of A/V hire we primarily do is corporate but occasionally will do bands and DJs for weddings.

Preferred price point: $3k

• Members

So I think I kind of get it. Although the ZLX are fine for what they are, are you maybe thinking you want something with a little more street cred and capabilities? Maybe you want to stay with EV but move up a series or two. Yamaha, QSC, JBL are also all respected brands with higher grade MI products. If you wanted to step up to professional grade I don't know that you would get your money out - maybe but maybe not.

Not sure what is hot in your market but that could also be a factor. Also, f you're doing the occasional DJ you would need a sub unless you picked up a pair of Yorkville Parasource 15's. I've used them many times and they are one of my favourite "run of the mill" cabinet, and the bottom you can get out of them is amazing. Might be the wrong speaker for your area, as they are Canadian. Service might be an issue - or not, who knows. Note that the 4400 watts is peak not continuous. They are probably closer to 700 watts.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/21681/Pro-Audio---Recording/PA-Speaker-Cabinets/Yorkville-Sound/Parasource-4400-Watt-Peak-15-Inch-Horn-Active-PA-Cabinet.htm

• Members

Last time I was in that position, I went and auditioned all the available upper-MI / lower-pro boxes. I ended up buying a dozen of the Yamaha DSR112. While they sound stunning, and have astonishing clean output, I would not buy them again - due to MDF construction. I understand Yamaha now has a slightly more pro series made from baltic birch. That's where I'd start my search if I were in the market.

• Members
Last time I was in that position' date=' I went and auditioned all the available upper-MI / lower-pro boxes. I ended up buying a dozen of the Yamaha DSR112. While they sound stunning, and have astonishing clean output, I would not buy them again - due to MDF construction. I understand Yamaha now has a slightly more pro series made from baltic birch. That's where I'd start my search if I were in the market.[/quote']

Thumbs up the DSR112, very articulate and musical speakers. I have a pair going on 7 years old and that get a lot of use. Like most Yamaha gear that take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

• Members

You can get a pair of the new DZR12 from Yamaha. A bit more expensive than the DSRs (which I own myself), but better bottom end and have more options in usage. The Dsr is a fantastic speaker for tops over subs, but for stand alone SOS you might find they lack the low end of other speakers in that price range

Archived