Bluetooth options?

• Members

I found these two items which would allow me to stream music from my phone or an iPad and pause it from wherever I stand instead of going up on stage and hitting pause on my laptop, phone or iPad. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with either item and what you thought.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BTIBLOXd1--rapcohorizon-btiblox-4.2-bluetooth-receiver-interface

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/318BT--switchcraft-audiostix-318bt-xlr-bluetooth-receiver

I'm also wondering if there's any sort of bluetooth setup which would allow me to wirelessly transmit from the output of my mixers to the input of my active cabinets. I could use either of the above items to connect to my active cabinets and receive a signal but I can't find anything to connect to the audio output of my mixer and transmit the signal to a receiver.

Thanks!

• Members

For the first question, I regularly use use one of those cheapie BT receivers that literally cost maybe $5.

For the second question, BT audio latency is too high to be used for live monitoring. For recorded music playback, it may be fine.

• Members

Not quite the same thing, but I use and recommend Denon DN300Z, which is a CD/SD/USB player with Bluetooth capability. It will play back pretty much anything you can throw at it, and the Bluetooth functionality is great for shows. I can leave the player at FOH and still run it from stage, and it's great when someone wants to play something off their phone but their phone can't plug in normally for some reason (thanks Apple).

I'm guessing that either of the products you linked to will give you the results you're looking for, but I've never used those particular models. I like the fact that the Switchcraft doesn't have protruding switches, but the Rapco can run on battery, which may or may not be good for you.

As stated, Bluetooth has too much latency for anything but general playback. Getting a signal to a speaker wirelessly is possible, but a cable is always better (and much cheaper).

Archived