Someone PLEASE Explain Power Ratings

• Members

I'm looking at portable line array systems. A JBL EON ONE is 285 watts, a similar EV or Turbosound is 1000 - 1400 watts. How can that be possible? I like the JBL really only because I could leave my mixer at home. I really think the applications I would use it in this would be plenty loud enough however the other units are 5x the power ...don't understand at all

• Members
I'm looking at portable line array systems. A JBL EON ONE is 285 watts' date=' a similar EV or Turbosound is 1000 - 1400 watts. How can that be possible? I like the JBL really only because I could leave my mixer at home. I really think the applications I would use it in this would be plenty loud enough however the other units are 5x the power ...don't understand at all[/quote']

Although it's not all about watts, the Eon 1 has significantly lower SPL capability vs the EV Evolve 50 (for example) and similar higher powered units, so the JBL is best used for smaller places, while the EV will get noticeably louder and will handle bigger places quite simply.

Al

• Members

Thanks - so I have a full PRX system (2x612's) and 2x715 xlf subs) for my full band. I have been offered considerable duo work and thought the EON One would be great for the 50-75 person rooms if that makes a difference. I'd consider buying a more expensive larger set of 2 portable line array systems if I thought they could replace my whole system... but everything I've read leads me to believe that these are not real conventional line arrays ...like the pro JBL's , QSC's etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Power ratings don't really mean anything in marketing, especially when it comes to more consumer-oriented gear like "portable line arrays".

My best advice is to actually test the gear you're considering. See if you can rent the gear somewhere and try it at a rehearsal.

Archived