Upgrade Powered Main Speakers Question

• Members

Hi, first post.

I'm in an acoustic three piece band and I've got the itch to upgrade my speakers.

I use a Soundcraft EFX12 and we are two acoustic guitars, one keyboard, and three vocal mics going through it.

I have two Mackie SRM450s as mains and one Tapco Thump TH-15a as a floor monitor.

Most gigs are small enough that we go with one SRM450 as a main and the Thump on the floor as a monitor.

My main priority is vocal clarity and fidelity, second would be the acoustic guitars, last would be the keyboard. Overall sound quality is paramount.

I'm looking at either the EV ETX-12P, ETX-10P, RCF HD32-A, NX-32A.

I haven't found anyplace locally where I can hear all four of these speakers at the same time.

If anyone has any experience, thoughts, advice or opinions on my prospective choices, they would be greatly appreciated.

• Members
Hands down. EV ETX10p is an amazing sounding loudspeaker. Voicing is wonderful. For your acoustic act a 10 will work fine over a 12.

Also for warranty EV is well known and is very good. I can say you could purchase these direct without even hearing them and you will be

quite pleased.

Thanks so much.

Pretty much what I was thinking.

Some people were telling me the ETX-10P might actually sound better for vocals than the ETX -12P. I don't know why that might be. It's counterintuitive.

Others have told me the RCF NX-32a would sound better for our purposes than either ETX speaker (partially) because of the larger voice coil. That's why I wanted to ask people who have had experience with each.

• Members

In the NX-32a price range I'd give these a listen. Reported to be much better than a standard 12/horn box and weight in at only 28lbs. Can be doubled up for lager rooms or have 1 pair coupled when 1 single stack in a location will work. I have the IG4T's and they are a fantastic box.

• Members
In the NX-32a price range I'd give these a listen. Reported to be much better than a standard 12/horn box and weight in at only 28lbs. Can be doubled up for lager rooms or have 1 pair coupled when 1 single stack in a location will work. I have the IG4T's and they are a fantastic box.

Thanks! I will watch that. dB Technologies is owned by RCF and I've been led to believe are a tier below (generally speaking).

• Members
It appears the RCF model is about 300.00 more per box then the ETX 10's . You are comparing an apple to an orange. The RCF box more then likely is a better box just because of the price point.

I was really comparing the ETX-12P ($1199 MSRP) to the RCF NX-32a ($1399 MSRP). That should be a more apples to apples comparison (as they are both 12's). The street price should be within $100 of each other. I was only considering the ETX-10P because someone suggested the 10 might actually be better than the 12 for vocals (so I figured I'd check it out as well). Might be a lone opinion on his part.

• Members

Well you can look at these points. You are an acoustic act and basically nothing below 100hz frequency wise. The 10's are smaller, lighter, less money. They would work very well with vocals yes. You could take some of that extra cash and invest in covers, and something else, or just save the cash.

• Members
Well you can look at these points. You are an acoustic act and basically nothing below 100hz frequency wise. The 10's are smaller' date=' lighter, less money. They would work very well with vocals yes. You could take some of that extra cash and invest in covers, and something else, or just save the cash. [/quote']

Our keyboard player plays bass on about 60% of our songs, but he goes through his own bass amp and does not go through the PA.

I need to hear the ETX-10P, ETX-12P, and RCF NX-32a and make a decision. I'd like to have the new speaker before a gig we have in mid-January.

Archived