Recommendations for a PA Setup for an Outdoor Movie Screening

• Members

Hey Guys,

I’m looking to purchase a proper sound system for a portable outdoor movie setup that we rent out. The screen's size is 150" and typically have up to 100-200 people attend.

Any suggestions as to the best portable full-range system for outdoor movies?

• Members

I've been doing outdoor movie rentals for nine years in a major US city. Since you don't need rock concert level SPL for movies, you don't really need subs for a screen that size. I use passive speakers for screens under 200" to simplify setup time (one speakon cord is faster than running a power cord as well). My current packages for screens under 200" use the Yamaha CBR10 paired with a Crown XLS 1502 amp. I've also had good results with the Mackie C200 (passive version of the SRM350) and the Electro-Voice ZX1 (for setups where weight and portability are a concern). For larger screens, I use the Yamaha DXR12 or DSR112 paired with JBL 18" powered subs.

If you want something that is the most versatile for a variety of uses, it'd be hard to beat the Yamaha DXR12 (or the similar QSC K12). If your budget supports it, upgrade to the Yamaha DSR112 or QSC KW122.

Archived