Basic Db IG4T , Yorkville EF500p comparison.

• Members

I was pressed for time but wanted to do a quick comparison. To see if what I've been hearing between the 2 boxes showed up some in measurements.This was an informal listening level test comparing a Db IG4T to a Yorkville EF500p. I did 2 measurements. The first was with the Ig4t's limiters just starting to flash and the second was the Ef500p's limiters just starting to flash. I did a capture just as this happened to compare spl. Did a quick measurement mic/source alignment. Best phase was around 250hz.

I used my M32r's crossover function set at a 110hz low cut for this so both speakers were given the exact same signal. I used Smaart generator to give pink noise with I believe it has a 6 db crest factor. Because this is an extreme test I used a 12k high cut filter to go easy on the horns. (Why the extreme high's are rolled off. The 500p's have much less high frequency output to begin with) The 2 captures are overlap on each other just as they were at limit light for each. Blue is the IG4T. The horn's on the IG4T's have much better L/R coverage and spl than the 500p's and because the Low-Mid is much better sound wise they seem to be much louder in the room overall. I found when playing music after what I noted live was the same in measurements overall. Because the wider coverage broad band and still at the same SPL as the Yorkvilles on average I had to run the subs about 3-6 db's louder to keep up to the IG4T's. The Yorkvilles would tap out trying to fill this same room but the Db's had more to go for what we all thought was loud enough. For me this show's how the Total SPL is not the whole picture. Good coverage and better sound quality, even at just slightly louder volume over all in the room is much better than loud low quality sound.

I'll post pink noise and music playing captures in the replies to follow so please wait a bit for me to post them before any replies. Again this was informal and just for a quick comparison. It does show how a IG4T box keeps up with a 15/horn speaker and in this case surpass it in performance.

First capture. 100hz low cut , 12khz high cut. Pink noise.

419aa5edc9bd4d7f61212ce51aceeae1.jpg.a1a0fe559679ff1a6e2d40b27322841d.jpg

• Members

Next is with music playing low enough so the limiters were not on. I used the 110hz cut built in on the IG4T and the 100hz low cut on the EF500p. This is where things changed. You can see the added low end the IG4T gives. This held up with different music tracks. The limiters in the IG4T may be more protective in the lower range as you can see how much more low end is in them with the limiter not engaged. This could be why in pre measurement listening I kept increasing the crossover point. I started at 100 and went out and used them at 110hz. I remember thinking I may try 120hz. You can still see the greater horn output as well. That peak at 80hz is more or less as I moved the measurement microphone around but it is there program dependent. I would recommend using the built in crossover in the IG4T's.

I used a test tone to reference 1.19 KHz output in both speakers to get an accurate comparison between the 2. The IG4T to me always sounds so full yet clean in the 110 to 400hz or so area. The peak in the EF500p's can be seen around 300hz and cut at around 220hz or so. I've seen that peak in many rooms This again is with no eq. The IG4T used below its limiter flashing easily outperformed my EF500p's to overall fill the room with less volume needed and better sound. The measurements show what I've been hearing. The horn area is around 6 db's louder than what the EF500p's have yet don't sound harsh just clean. Yes I could eq either speaker to sound better. But the IG4T sounds best with no eq to start.

Again this was just a quick look and comparison between the 2. Part of why I felt they are louder before these measurements is in the greater horns output but the better sound and L/R coverage overall to fill the room must come into play as well.

Both speakers were referenced to 0db at 1.19 Khz during music play back when the traces were captured. I wish I had done a pink noise capture below limiter level but was too pressed for time.

e91f7b173db6cee19f5a2d41697cef95.jpg.f308f4ada6fc2ea98d9ebd877cb513e5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

So it sounds like you're still digging your iG4T's. I've been looking for something smaller and actually unloaded my Unity U15's some time back. Just using my Elite 210's and two Yorkville 720P's, but even for the smaller gigs I've been doing, it's not quite enough - or at least I feel that way.

Don't know if I could invest that much money at this point, and wonder if the Yorkville Parasource boxes would be a better buy for me, as I'm in Canada and they'd be easy to service. Anyway, thanks for posting. More food for thought.

• Members

Just a update. Last outside show of the season. 42 degrees at the warmest... Band was on IEM except the lead singer. Guitars were fed to peddles then to IEM and FOH mix. Went back about 75 feet and did a very quick recording. At this distance and with the drums under the tent this led to 80 percent or more of all the sound from the IG4T's and the Ls801pb subs to produce. The level was quite loud if needed and the speakers did a great job for the area needed to be covered.

This was sound check and I wish I could have gotten the 4T's a little higher. The impending rain never came but I was committed to the setup. Wanted the subs in the center as well but it worked out ok. All in all the 4T's do a great job and I still am impressed with them when I go out.

Band was a bunch of friends having fun at a Beer Festival. Not a big budget but more a for the fun of it gig.

A quick video

• Members

Found another video , not mine, of a walk around the event. Band playing in the background. Again just to show how the IG4T's cover an area.

[0]=68.ARDmqLaHvq4fYM-zSOMkUpTqj6qG2YxYvmCRQoKT6I9A-3kj7vJx0HZsSspwFdC5-9OlhAhjM5YDJCzGa65ruWtE58d7zFS8m0xSTQ9ZSZoW32047byLbZmjhMAifLs3i_QRwLSLHIChTsckMEu-vjtJRkVXXnF86-X5FHqGYafpvbNhr9tcxw&__tn__=FC-R

0961b7e146d555e1a089818454b4e569.thumb.jpg.8c7e7a1e88b6a1f85b76e95c307034ce.jpg

Archived